ScorpionKing

Balcony Gardener Novice
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi all!

I have started my fall crops inside but some of the leaves on my broccoli plants are turning yellow. Does anyone have any idea what it may be from? I started them from seed and have kept them inside so I'm not sure what kind of bugs or disease could have hit them. Thanks for any help!

IMG_4730.jpg IMG_4731.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Might be one of two things--lack of nitrogen, which can be fixed with 1/2 to 1/4 strength doses of fertilizer, or poor drainage. I see you have them in drinking cups. Are there holes in the bottom and are the cups slightly raised from the surface they are resting on? A little gravel under the cups will allow drainage.
Also, the first leaves, which are not true leaves (cotyledons) will yellow and fall off when the plant starts to put out true leaves.

ScorpionKing

Balcony Gardener Novice
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Might be one of two things--lack of nitrogen, which can be fixed with 1/2 to 1/4 strength doses of fertilizer, or poor drainage. I see you have them in drinking cups. Are there holes in the bottom and are the cups slightly raised from the surface they are resting on? A little gravel under the cups will allow drainage.
Also, the first leaves, which are not true leaves (cotyledons) will yellow and fall off when the plant starts to put out true leaves.

I actually gave it a 9-2-6 organic fertilizer last Friday before I went out of town because they were looking awfully pale. When I returned yesterday they were darker in color aside from the yellowing leaves.

Yes there are drainage holes but they aren't slightly raised. They drain out into styrofoam cases so I guess they essentially sit in the water until the water either evaporates or gets sucked back in (see pic).

Let me know what I am doing wrong! This is my first time starting plants indoors so any advise I will gladly take. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4732.JPG
    IMG_4732.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 193
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've used the cup method as well, but use two cups. Here you can see how I do it. There are four holes in the green cup and it sits inside the red cup with about a half inch have at the bottom that allows water to drain well. You need different sizes cups for this, or you could place a small Stone it something in the bottom to create the space.

Not sure if that's your issue or not, but I suspect you aren't draining well.
IMG_20180911_065100663.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hi all!

I have started my fall crops inside but some of the leaves on my broccoli plants are turning yellow. Does anyone have any idea what it may be from? I started them from seed and have kept them inside so I'm not sure what kind of bugs or disease could have hit them. Thanks for any help!

View attachment 43872 View attachment 43873
Kindly first Check the water. Excess of water also sufucate the plant . And second need light such type of plants

ScorpionKing

Balcony Gardener Novice
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm guessing it wasn't draining well. I did prop them up so water could drain out better and the problem hasn't gotten any worse. I did clip off the leaves that turned completely yellow.

As far as lighting, I currently have them inside under LED grow lights while the temperature calms down outside. They seem to be growing nicely under them, as well as my other crops (cauliflower, kale, collards, mustard). I've done a decent amount of hardening off at night, so I'll put put them in their permanent homes on my balcony around the end of the month of early next month.

Thanks all for your help/advice!

Ask a Question