Winds reached Hurricane force last night

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/11...s_hurricane_force_winds_cause_havoc_on_coast/

Bit of damage to my place too, woke up to this.

DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG

Reaction score
Amazing the winds that you are getting in the UK, crazy, crazy weather! Are you in a location where there has been flooding? We have been having an awful winter in The US, I live in the Northeast but I can't imagine what you all are going through! Hope you are safe and secure where you are.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Never known a winter like it, wettest since records began, storm after storm :(

I'm surrounded by floods, but higher up than the flooded villages, only been cut off once so far.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no Zigs take care mŷ heart goes out to you.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta Kat :)

Just found a summary of what's going on,

• Huge ancient formation known as Pom Pom Rock off Portland, Dorset, destroyed by ferocious waves
  • Iconic natural formation in Porthcothan Bay, Cornwall, shaped like giant doughnut also knocked down
  • Somerset village of Muchelney cut off for four days after access roads were left under 3ft of water
  • Environment Agency issues 320 flood warnings or alerts - including severe warnings in Dorset
  • Met Office issues 'be aware' yellow warning for wind as gusts of 70mph are expected in South-West
  • Heavy rain falls across much of Britain last night, with up to 1.6in expected on higher ground today
  • Forecasters warn of 'exceptionally high waves' and say 0.4in of rain could fall in less than an hour
  • Surfers fly in from US to follow deep depression across the Atlantic dubbed Winter Storm Hercules
  • Three deaths: Man falls into Oxford river, man swept out to sea in Cornwall, woman killed in Devon
  • Wave-watchers still risking their lives to stand in dangerous locations, defying guidance from police

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-fall-sodden-ground-today.html#ixzz2tQ8fKn2m
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Reaction score
Zigs, I was wondering how you came out: I heard that the wind in the British Isles was up to 100 miles per hour!

The weather this year has been extraordinary: I hope we are done with the storms. This year has ALMOST made me a believer in Global Climate Change! (ALMOST, anyways).

Reaction score
Zigs, I was wondering how you came out: I heard that the wind in the British Isles was up to 100 miles per hour!

The weather this year has been extraordinary: I hope we are done with the storms. This year has ALMOST made me a believer in Global Climate Change! (ALMOST, anyways).

I've believed in climate change for a while. I belong to an environmental forum and they post articles all the time showing how the damage to the ozone layer seems to be leading too all kinds of crazy weather extremes worldwide.

Why wouldn't you believe in global warming? They're not saying it's happening magically, there is science and cause and effect. Air pollution is damaging the layer of gas that protects our planet from the sun's rays, causing changes in the temperature. What's unbelievable or implausible about that?

Reaction score
I've believed in climate change for a while. I belong to an environmental forum and they post articles all the time showing how the damage to the ozone layer seems to be leading too all kinds of crazy weather extremes worldwide.

Why wouldn't you believe in global warming? They're not saying it's happening magically, there is science and cause and effect. Air pollution is damaging the layer of gas that protects our planet from the sun's rays, causing changes in the temperature. What's unbelievable or implausible about that?
Mostly because a large part of it was blamed on the cattle. Ruminants fart and burp, and they do it a LOT!

The thing is, before we were farming the Midwest we had huge herds of buffalo and buffalo are also ruminants. I am afraid that the insistence on cattle burps as a major cause of global warming has made me look at all of the statements with a jaundiced eye.

Reaction score
Mostly because a large part of it was blamed on the cattle. Ruminants fart and burp, and they do it a LOT!

The thing is, before we were farming the Midwest we had huge herds of buffalo and buffalo are also ruminants. I am afraid that the insistence on cattle burps as a major cause of global warming has made me look at all of the statements with a jaundiced eye.

I don't think it's the cattle either. I think it's cars, people burning trash, factories burping out toxic smoke and just the general filthiness of people.
Not to sound like a tree hugger, but all the deforestation isn't helping the air quality or weather either.

Reaction score
Yes
I don't think it's the cattle either. I think it's cars, people burning trash, factories burping out toxic smoke and just the general filthiness of people.
Not to sound like a tree hugger, but all the deforestation isn't helping the air quality or weather either.
Yes, *IF* climate change is happening, that would be the most likely cause.

I suspect in a few years time the answer will be obvious. Either this world is on a cycle of heating and cooling, we have a problem settling in.

On the more hopeful side, the Midwest is on a cycle of wet to dry that takes 20 years to complete. For example, this area was settled during a wet cycle. The settlers noted that the rainfall was increasing and they happily announced that "rain followed the plow" and they kept on plowing. Farmers used to plow after every snowfall if they could, to trap the snow under a layer of earth.

The Dust Bowl occurred during the dry half of the cycle. All of that plowing made a fine seed bed that was easily blown away, and when the rain became scant because the Midwest shifted into a dry cycle all of those thousands of miles of fine earth blew away!

To prevent it from happening again, when a farmer plows in the Fall now he leaves the seedbed rough, with big clods of earth and crop residue to slow the wind down. More fragile areas are no longer plowed at all: some land is simply better used for grazing!

At any rate, we now know about the wet to dry cycle that is normal for the Midwest: it is possible that the Earth is on a warm to cold cycle as well.

Time will tell if the cause of the erratic weather is due to pollution or if it is normal: it will be interesting to watch what happens to the ozone layer!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has been a hard winter, we have seen more snow and colder than we have seen in years.

The Farmers Almanac says this would be a very cold and wet winter. I think it has been proven to be right in several areas.

Stay safe if you are in one of the areas that is being hit with wind, flooding, cold and snow.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Global warming is a good thing, take a look at what the Earth's temperature is usually.

http://www.climate4you.com/GlobalTemperatures.htm

Scroll down to the blue graph, you'll see that on average the climate is freezing, we're lucky to be living in an interglacial period. Doesn't matter what we do in the short term, there's only one major factor and that is Solar output, if the Sun goes into another hibernation period (which it's done before) then the ice sheets will start rolling again.

Reaction score
It's cold this morning and it's February in Miami. Yesterday it was warm and I had a picnic in the park with my daughter.
The weather randomly changes on a dime and it's hard to make plans. Christmas week when I was moving into my apartment, it was pouring down sheets of rain.
It rained in winter and now it's cold in February. I'm actually starting to miss when it was hot every day.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
After all the downpours & storms, West Bay cliff collapsed yesterday :eek:

There were fears that folk might have been under it, but they used thermal imaging cameras and sniffer dogs, they're pretty certain that there's no one under it now.

Got down there today to see it, and the storm damage, one block of flats had the roof ripped off :eek:

DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my goodness, what dramatic photos! Doesn't seem to have stopped many folks walking under the cliffs... you wouldn't catch me taking a stroll there!

The talk of climate change made me think of this... :D

betterworld.jpg

Ask a Question