WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN MAY 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
With only a few plants that flower in my new-ish garden there's very little to show you at the moment. But one of my pine trees is absolutely covered in new cones, may be the bad winter had something to do with it.

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4970.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That's a native plant I just discovered going thru a local native park here in Jacksonville. I was helping the Native Plant society clean up the park and they had too many of these things, so I took some plants and seeds and planted it in my garden, but because it was the end of the year they never grew, but luckily they started popping up in the spring.

It's suppose to be a super pollinator attractor, so I got it to help out-compete with another super pollinator plant that can become very invasive (Spanish Nettle) and take over my garden.

The scientific name of the plant above is Melanthera nivea (AKA: Snow Squarestem) As the common name implies, its stem is square, but it's not in the mint family, rather it's in the aster family. http://www.regionalconservation.org/beta/nfyn/plantdetail.asp?tx=Melanive
I also loved the Lions Ear image and managed to find an orange one at a nursery last weekend. I've planted it and looking forward to it doing its thing . Thanks for the inspiration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our Sambucus is starting to flower. There's about a dozen blooms.

P1010637.JPG

This Piilu clematis has over a dozen new flowers to come.

P1010632.JPG

Our new wisteria is doing its best to climb over the pergola.

P1010634.JPG

Our tortoise shell rhodo is now in full bloom and a few behind it, of the couple of dozen giant lilies we have in the garden, will soon be in flower.

P1010636.JPG

The problem with this rhodo is that it has outgrown everything.
My original intention was that there would be several features to draw the eye down the garden in stages, ending with the tea-house on one side and the little pagoda, (not so little, it's six feet tall with the sōrin) on the other side.

But it's scuppered that.

You can't see the pagoda from the house now. Not even from the patio

P1010640.JPG

Only from here.

P1010639.JPG

Only from here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question