What's Looking Good in March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Azaleas in a heavily shaded part of our yard, adjacent to a covered walkway.

Attachments

• azalea1.jpg
    azalea1.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 3
  • azalea2.jpg
    azalea2.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The flowers of this ornamental grasslike plant actually seem very much like those of Acorus calamus sweet flag, a wetland plant that may or may not emit a sweet scent (scent varies depending on species & variety).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of tree is this?
I can tell you about this plant @NewLeafTX It's a winter flowering honeysuckle - Lonicera fragrantissima. I used to propagate shrubs and climbers as my usual job, and that was a stock plant in the stock greenhouse which is no longer there. It flowers all through the
winter on bare stems, and well into spring as well when the leaves start to re-appear. A useful plant to have!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flowers of this ornamental grasslike plant actually seem very much like those of Acorus calamus sweet flag, a wetland plant that may or may not emit a sweet scent (scent varies depending on species & variety).
D'you know, I took a good look at Acorus - at least the ones I know, but didn't know calamus. Thanks for that. I think the grass we're looking at is very similar, but the one in Dr Case's photo shows such long showy flower heads for a seemingly short plant, whereas, now I've checked out calamus which seems a bit taller and with more erect flower heads :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you describe these flower heads ? This grass fascinates me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question