What's better - Poultry Netting vs Deer Fence

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I am having issues with a few different rodents in my yard / garden eating my plants and crops.

I have 2 garden beds that I made a PVC/chicken wire cover for and it has worked great keeping rats, bunnies and crows out.

sg1iqo.jpg

I have other plants and small trees growing outside of the garden bed that might be under attack from rats and crows.

I am planning on making a similar PVC enclosure to keep these guys out but the chicken coup wire is pricey... I noticed there is this cheap "Deer Fence". I am wondering if someone used this to keep rats, bunnies and crows out using the "Deer Fence", or do they just chew right through it?

Chicken Wire
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-ft-x-150-ft-Galvanized-Poultry-Netting-308432EB/205929591

Deer Fence
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Deer-X-7...lypropylene-Protective-Fencing-DX-7/202871745

Or instead of using the PVC I could use a lite duty U-Post and wrap either the chicken wire or the deer fencing around it.

Lite Duty U-Post
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-ft...h-Green-Powder-Coat-Finish-901154HD/204331911

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a big different in prices between the poultry netting and the deer fencing! I would go for the deer fencing since it is more affordable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If there is a farm/ranch supply store, or a lumber yard near you, check their price on the poultry fencing. HD tends to be more expensive than places that cater less to DIY and more to those who use a lot of a product.
Rats can and probably will chew through the deer fencing.
From the foliage in your picture it would seem that you are in the South, Florida perhaps? If so, the rodent problem is endemic. See what other gardeners do to keep rodents out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If there is a farm/ranch supply store, or a lumber yard near you, check their price on the poultry fencing. HD tends to be more expensive than places that cater less to DIY and more to those who use a lot of a product.
Rats can and probably will chew through the deer fencing.
From the foliage in your picture it would seem that you are in the South, Florida perhaps? If so, the rodent problem is endemic. See what other gardeners do to keep rodents out.

I am in San Diego county. My neighbor has horses and goats... I'm guessing that's the reason I get rats. I even trapped one big rat in my 110 conibear trap before.

The price is a big difference, but I'd rather not waste $20 and my time setting it up if it's going to fail in the end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
That's a pretty good defense against intruders that eat your plants. I remember when we went to the province to check on the farm of a friend. The mango saplings were wrapped with small branches of bamboo - it is thorny and you can be pricked if you are not careful. Those bamboo twigs, actually, is their defense against the roaming goats that eat the leaves.

Ask a Question