What music are you listening to?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've lots of ways I can listen to music, from the conventional to the less so, like my vintage vinyl jukeboxes.

But I had a problem a few weeks ago. As part of my vintage hi-fi in our front room, Leak 2000 tuner/amplifier, Philips turntable, Goodmans speakers, I had a Sharp cassette deck.
This, was fifty years old when I put this video on YouTube. I bought it from Comet in Stockport in the early seventies.

But lately, there had been some noise from the left-hand channel, when I turned it on. It wasn't the end of the world, as if I played a track, I didn't notice it as much. But I like my stuff to be in perfect working order. Given its age, it wasn't worth repairing.

But I had a stroke of luck, I found this listed on eBay. (Vendor's photo)

Untitled.jpg

Now for me, the "deal breaker," were the connections. It used "din" plugs on the lead like the other, I wouldn't have considered it if it didn't. The vendor said it was working, but hadn't tested it. That always throws up "red flags," but I decided if I bought it and it didn't work, it would be going back.

It's a Sharp RT-2500 Full auto-stop, auto Cr O2 plus Dolby.

What really impressed me was the condition, in the vendor's photos. Not a mark on the cabinet, but although the black plastic had faded with age a bit, the lettering on the "POWER" and "EJECT" buttons were still clearly visible. If the lettering had worn, it would suggest to me a lot of use.

Anyway, I put in a bid and won. It arrived Saturday, extremely well packed. I checked it out and there was a lot of distortion on one channel. But a good clean of the heads with switch cleaner on a cotton bud cleared that problem. Then I gave the rest a good clean and it was good to go.

P1010735.JPG

To swop the decks over, took a bit of "fettling," as it is wider than the old one, but it looks OK.

P1010737.JPG

All the wiring and the ipods below are for my two jukebox wall boxes on a shelf across the other side of this room. The vintage "Realistic" selector enables me to put the sound from my Humax recorder or DVD/CD player under the TV to the left through the tuner amp. But since buying a five speaker sound bar for the TV last year, I rarely bother.

and anyway the cupboard doors are shut when anything is being used.

All the lights work.

P1010734.JPG

A bonus is I've always had for years a poly bag with a set of spare belts for the old one. The mechanisms are likely to be the same. But they aren't needed at the moment.

It's only "mid range" but will do for me.

Well worth the £38 I paid for it.
It probably won't get any more use than the other, but I know it's there, if I want it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've got round to making this video of my Sharp RT 2500 cassette player.
I'm using a Lumix DMC LX15.
I went on YouTube, to find the best setting for videos. There was no end of adjustments suggested in one "instructional video."
The end result was rubbish, It produced "camera shake" by constantly re-focussing. So I went into it and used "factory setting."

The result was far better. No extraneous noises apart from my camera and the clock.

The bass available is surprisingly good.

Ask a Question