What is the name of this neat plant?

Reaction score
My aunt gave me one of these plants several years ago and since then it has continuously grown all around my house. This plant spreads quickly because all of it's leaves are covered in tiny "baby" copies of the plant that will easily grow on anything they land on. I even had one grow somewhat successfully on a tennis ball!

The plant occasionally flowers with pink/red bell-shaped flowers in clumps at the top of the plant. I like the plant because of its flowers and its unusual way of spreading with its "babies" attached to its leaves. Here is a picture of it. Is anyone familiar with this plant and know what it is called?

picture1b-018-jpg.1375

Attachments

• Picture1b 018.jpg
    Picture1b 018.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 751
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This plant is my mother's nightmare:p. When I was a child, I had to take care of a few plants from school during vacation. Kalanchoe was one of them. Without thinking, I put it on a windowsill, next to my mother's flowerpots. The "baby" copies of the plant spread very quickly and took over almost all the space. They're like weeds, they can grow anywhere:LOL:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting plant. I have never seen the plant in my area. Looks like an Aloe Vera cousin.

Reaction score
Very interesting plant. I have never seen the plant in my area. Looks like an Aloe Vera cousin.

In UK it is grown as a houseplant.

Not related at all to Aloe vera.

see..quoted from wiki.

Aloe vera....Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Clade: Angiosperms
Clade: Monocots
Order: Asparagales
Family: Xanthorrhoeaceae
Subfamily: Asphodeloideae
Genus: Aloe
Species: A. vera
Binomial name
Aloe vera
(L.) Burm.f.

Kalanchoe....Scientific classification
Kingdom:Plantae
(unranked):Angiosperms
(unranked):Eudicots
(unranked):Core eudicots
Order:Saxifragales
Family:Crassulaceae
Genus:Kalanchoe
Section:Bryophyllum
Species:
K. daigremontiana

Reaction score
You know I was wondering about this plant. Why does it get flowers if it just gets the "baby" copies? These plants get the baby copies when they first start growing before they ever flower. I do not think the flowers actually make seeds and I know these plants do not have fruit so what is the point of the flowers?

Reaction score
OMG, I love kalanchoes!!! I used to have many, but this doesn't look a lot like one, I guess the leaves slightly resemble the kalanchoe's. But is interesting this plant keeps its babies all over its leaves :) Mine had a lot flowers, but no babies :( Kalanchoes can spread so easily by putting their cuttings in a flower pot :) I hope I find this one in Holland!

Ask a Question