What do you do to prevent bugs/birds eating your fruits/veggies?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am trying to avoid pesticides but when I dont use them, the produce looks bad because the bugs and birds eat at them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Some years ago, we bought a cilantro that was planted in a soft plastic container. At home, we placed the cilantro in the terrace for the meantime until we find a suitable location where it can be planted. On the next morning, we noticed some missing leaves of the cilantro and in the afternoon, more missing leaves. It appeared that birds were eating the leaves and our suspicion was confirmed based on our observation. But we did not move the cilantro and let nature on its course. Well, the cilantro lost all its leaves and it died. That's the end of the story. We have stricken out cilantro in the list of our plants directory because we cannot prevent the birds from eating the leaves. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stopped growing vegetables since I can't combat nature for many years now. When I was at the old house, I had tomatoes, green beans, peppers, they were eaten by wild rabbits and squirrels.

I didn't use any pesticides since my children were young and loved to play in the yard. I guess if I had help, I would put chicken wire around the area where I grew vegetables.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Some people buy nets, some build cages..
For my blueberries i cover them with horticultural fleese, the black birds like the plums, but i can't do much about them, but the wasps I've got a waspinator. It looks like a wasp nest and you hang it up in the garden, before spring, the wasps thinks there's already wasps nesting so they go away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I accept a certain amount of loss, but net, use organic slug pellets, nematodes lime and woodash to keep slugs and snails at bay, spray with garlic/chilli water.

I DON'T use anything systemic; if a slug won't touch my cabbage, neither will I.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
you could get a bird feeder for the birds if you put out things for them to eat they might leave your plants alone but this may attract more birds

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I really I told myself that I would leave my cherries for one more day so they could mature a tad more. That night, it rained and it's like the cherry tree had been BURGLED. :eek::eek: Not one cherry left. The same happened to neighbour's bitter cherry tree. and it is still a massive one.. :eek::eek:. I reckon netting is the only way forward as we are talking about controlling mob behaviour!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
actually if you get the right birdfeeder for the right type of bird , you can attract ones that feed on various insects
farmers where i live use a thing that sounds like a gunshot going off , it goes off every half an hour and scares all the birds away from their crops
you could also put a piece of old hose pipe in your garden and the birds might think its a snake although i dont know if this works, you could also use a scarecrow of some sort .
best idea seems to be the chilli water and a net though

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I accept a certain amount of loss, but net, use organic slug pellets, nematodes lime and woodash to keep slugs and snails at bay, spray with garlic/chilli water.

I DON'T use anything systemic; if a slug won't touch my cabbage, neither will I.
Actually, I've just remembered, the dilute aspirin solution I use on my nightshades IS systemic:oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last year I had trouble with birds trying to eat Munich tomatoes. My grandpa suggested I leave water for the birds because they may be thirsty. It did actually help!

Ask a Question