Variegated Flapjack - issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
What’s happening here? It’s blooming but also has a black kind of pattern on its leaves. Shouldn’t be mold. Ideas?
IMG_6490.jpeg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Have you been over watering? It's a succulent and it doesn't need a lot of water and it needs a lot of light.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Have you been over watering? It's a succulent and it doesn't need a lot of water and it needs a lot of light.
I don’t think it’s overwatering because there’s nothing on the stem.
But I was wondering if it could be a humidity issue in general. Is that possible? Like it’s too humid so it has some sort of surface … leaf….. skin issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Romanesco , this plant belongs to the Kalanchoe family. Although it is not totally monocarpic, it is highly likely to die after it has flowered. The whole plant is showing signs of stress, and I suspect there may indeed not be sufficient drainage in the planting medium.
Firstly, I suggest you just enjoy the flower you say it has, and then I would look for any tiny baby plants that may have appeared in the top of the plant near the flower.
If it survives as the flower wilts, cut the wilting flower off, and watch to see if any baby plants appear in the leaf axils.
1707154293560.png
If so, carefully take these off and plant them out in a seed tray to root. If you have success with this, you can grow on your new babies to produce more.
Always put this plant in really well drained potting medium with plenty of added grit, because it is prone to rot and over watering.
I wish you luck. It would be nice to know how you get on with this project.

As a PS to the above, and having looked again at your attached link, I think you also have insect damage to contend with here - look underneath the leaves as well.

Ask a Question