The most useful plant in your garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
"Useful" can mean a lot of things. What I use the most would probably be potatoes, as the food is versatile. What gives the best yield (and tastes the best) are cherry tomatoes. Supposedly planting marigolds around the parameter of your garden wards off rabbits. If that is true that is another aspect of "useful".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had no idea that rabbits don't like marigolds:p
In some ways, my roses are useful too, because they bloom often and thanks to it my room looks much prettier. Not to mention that growing them makes me very happy:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends on your view, but some would see a plant or flower as useful merely from an aesthetically pleasing vantage point. I enjoy nature, and I see the beauty in a lot of things, but something that looks nice is not useful to me personally. If it helps the well-being for someone else, and lightens their day, great. Are flowers "useful" to you?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My most useful plant right now is my tomato plant. I like to cook a lot and having some tomatoes handy is really nice. It also means that I don't have to go out and spend some money for some tomatoes :D.

Reaction score
To be honest I can't actually think of just one plant in my garden that is more useful than another .

As everything I grow has a use - like for instance my fruit and nut trees give me an abundance of fruit and nuts each year as well as firewood every alternate year, my herbs compliment the flavor of my food and have a pleasing scent, my vegetable garden provides me with soft fruits and vegetables that keep me supplied with fresh produce throughout the year and my ornamental plants add beauty to my garden and have a therapeutic effect too - as just sitting and looking at my garden is something that I find very relaxing and enjoyable too :)

Ask a Question