Store bought Onions vs Home Grown

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Onions aren't that cheap in my area and I've started growing onions in a few pots to see how it turns out. I love dishes with lots of onions in them so I want to grow my own and also make use of the green leaves as seasoning for stew or porridge. I hope they'll grow well in pots.
They'll grow fine in pots; I grew 8 Kelsae onions in hadopots (one in each) and the smallest was 535g (approx. 1 lb 3 oz) and the largest was 1'83 kg (4 1/2 lb). I grew them outside in UK. They are day long onions, but do not keep well, so the last of them, which I harvested in Aug, I used in last night's batch of curry, and only just in time, as it was starting to go.
I reckon you could grow 4 ordinary sized onions in a 12" pot, one in the centre, three in a triangle round it, spaced four inch from the middle, two inch from the edge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
For me, it's not about whether the homegrown onions are cheap, but about the garden-grown onions being (1) better and (2) longer-lasting. Copra onions have lasted about a year for me. It's handy to be able to dig an onion that I harvested four months ago out of the fridge and know it will be good, rather than digging out the onion that I bought two weeks ago at the grocery and find that it's sprouted mold.

I just heard a rumor that Copra seed is no longer being produced. Aiee!
Produce your own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally, I used to grow them until I realized that I don't grow them fast enough. So I reserve growing onions for green onions, red onions, and these one sweet white onions from Italy that my mom got for me. Other than that, I buy most of my onions from the store. It's just easier.

Ask a Question