How do you store your seeds?

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What's the optimal environment for seed storage? How long do seeds last? Thanks!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For my native plant seeds, I keep them in paper envelopes and keep in the fridge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I think it depends on the kind of seed for the longevity of storage. For us, it's always room temperature. I'm not being funny but our seed bin is on top of the computer, yeah, right on top of the CPU there is a plastic container. Right now, that plastic container has cashew seeds, sugar apple, native green beans, a lotus pod and some pods of a decorative plant we call Mickey Mouse. The cashew seeds are more than a year and it is still guaranteed to sprout.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I store most of my seeds in paper envelopes in our basement. The temperature there is perfect.
As for seeds that can be sprouted for eating, I keep them in my kitchen.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Paper envelopes in a shoe box, don't have a fridge, well, not one that works anyway :D

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The one place I had in mind was in our crawl space, there are some shelves, but I have a few problems. Last week...I went down to the deep freezer (also in the crawl space) and there was a rattlesnake! Had to call the fire department. Currently scared of my house. No space in refrigerator as my toddler's food has taken over. I really need to find a good spot for these guys. So... Judging by all the statements, the prefer cool, dark and dry spaces. Looking looking!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool bag with an ice pack? :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
We dry our seeds. We place them out in the sun for awhile or underneath the radiator, and then store them in bags. Paper bags absorb moisture and therefore would protect the seeds from mold and moisture. From there, we store them in a drawer in the house, which has a very stable temperate. Just make sure not to place them somewhere like a basement or attic that is prone to mold!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had mine just in the orignal packaging. These were grass seeds mind you, not something delectable, and a mouse got into them! I mean..I wouldn't think a mouse would go after grass seed, but I guess they take what they can get. I have since moved them awa from the house at least in an area, where mice are unlikely to be. I need to use that bag up as a matter of fact!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have put mine in envelopes and then in a zip lock bag. I put those in my pantry because it is cool, but not too cool, and dry. I have even been able to sprout some "expired" seeds from that pantry because they were stored so well. Just make sure that your seeds are dry before you store them.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have special a tin that I keep my seeds in. I normally put them in paper bag before I store them in the tin. The only seeds that I keep in the fridge are bean seeds because they tend to get bugs, those I keep in a glass jar with chili power.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I store them in little plastic jars that are about an inch tall and wide. I get them at an art store for about fifty cents, unless they are on sale then they're cheaper. I find that I have more luck remember to plant them in they are neatly organized in jars than when I had them in envelopes. I still have envelopes of seeds from fifteen years ago in boxes from moving. Plus, I move so much, that hey end up getting wet and molding. Though, I had some bachelor buttons that ended up growing out of a box that was under a leak and flowering. So there are always surprises with envelopes.

Ask a Question