Please help save my yucca plant!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, this is my first post. My houseplant, a yucca named Ananas, is not doing so well. Her leaves are dying and I don't know what she needs. Here is a little about her and her environment:

She had a bunch of dry leaves and a friend told me that maybe they need to be removed so that new ones can grow. So I did that about a month ago but no new leaves are showing. More leaves continue to die.

I water her once a week, about a glass full. If the soil feels moist, I don't water and check again a couple of days later.

My fiance thought that maybe she needs more sun. She normally stands near a glass door but not in direct sunlight. So, I took her outside for a few days. This only made things worse! And more leaves are dying.

We live in Northern Virginia and since it is summer the humidity is pretty high, at this very moment it is 55% in the house. In the winter we use a humidifier to make sure that our tropical plants have enough humidity.

I love my Ananas and want to save her, but have no idea what she needs. I'm not very experienced in growing plants, so I'll appreciate your advice very much!
20160704_140647.jpg

Thanks!
Ania

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would let her dry out completely between watering. Most houseplants are over-watered. It will not hurt her and may well help to get a bit water-stressed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would let her dry out completely between watering. Most houseplants are over-watered. It will not hurt her and may well help to get a bit water-stressed!
As Beth_B said, and it looks as if your container has no drainage holes. If it doesn't have adequate drainage the roots will rot, which looks like is happening.. Take it out of that pot and put it into another one which will be able to drain. Those plants in nature hardly ever get watered

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the advice, Beth and Chuck! We will make holes in the pot so that it drains better and I will let the soil dry out and then water it less.

Ask a Question