Plant identification help please :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Can anyone please help identify this little guy? I've spent many hours trawling through the interwebs and have had no luck.

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• WIN_20150808_151820.JPG
    WIN_20150808_151820.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 348

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums :)

Apart from some sort of succulent i've no idea i'm afraid, hopefully someone will know :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D Sorry for stating the obvious :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome. :)

No idea, but if there's a flower on top of the stalk maybe a photo of that would help for identification purposes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you Beth, I will post another photo tomorrow of the top of the stalk. There is no flower, there is a... actually I'm not quite sure what it is... I'm very (and I stress the very) new to gardening :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe a bud or seed pod of some sort...I don't live in a region which is naturally favorable to most succulents so I'm not that familiar. I did a little googling thinking perhaps some type of agave cultivar but I don't think so.
There are a few forum members who are very good at identifying plants so hopefully you'll get an answer. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you Beth, could you please let me know your thoughts about what to call the top of the stem of this succulent? I would love to know! :)

Wow, I just looked up your hardiness zone - that's cold!!

Thank you for looking. :)

I've attached a photo of the top of the stem, I cannot seem to rotate the photo sorry!

Attachments

• WIN_20150809_125327.JPG
    WIN_20150809_125327.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, you are certainly stumping the forum LOL. I looked at your pretty red cactus and haven't a clue. Where are you getting these plants, are you finding them wild?
That's a bud of some sort on the stalk, I imagine it's going to open up into a flower eventually. And it looks like leaves or buds or something coming in lower down?

Here in the US most (or maybe all) states have a master gardener extension program affiliated with state universities. They have offices and websites and people available to the public for all sorts of services and information. Do you have something like that in Australia?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Haha - I don't mean to! I found a few succulents at garage sales here in Tasmania, unfortunately with no labels. I have another succulent that I cannot identity either, I will post a photo soon (did not want to bombard the forum).

Thank you, if it flowers I'll update here. They're almost like leaves, but they also seem to be bits of the stem peeling away. The photo doesn't do the plant justice, but the stem looks metallic.

That sounds fantastic! I haven't heard anything of the like here, but I'll make some enquiries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
@Amy Louisa I am going to say that plant looks like a Haworthia Retusa, some varieties have the stalk like flower that you see to have. Although my first thought was it might be a Agave Shawii, I lean more towards the Haworthia because of the way it is clumped. It is a wonderful plant I hope you have success with it, as far as inside plants go succulents are the only ones I almost don't destroy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you Silver surfer :) if and when it opens I will post another picture and I will also endeavour to add a clearer picture. The device I own unfortunately has a poor camera.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you very much Mockingbird. I looked up Haworthia Retusa - the stem is identical, the leaves are so close, but on the little guy I have they appear different, so is that a different variety? I'm not questioning your opinion, just asking... and please excuse my ignorance, I'm very new to the joys of gardening. I see why you thought Agave Shawii after looking it up :)
Thank you so much, I hope I have success with it also. Haha - that sounds like something that I might say in the future... :D. and I'm sure you're more successful than that!

Ask a Question