Plant identification and problems with it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Ive had these plants for a few years planted in part afternoon sun... blooms once, not sure if I should dead head it, if it will bloom again....The leaves on one plant are turning brown but the other seams fine. Looking for identification and possible reason for the leaves discoloured...thank you
received_10153549298821232.jpeg
received_10153549298531232.jpeg
20160702_205407.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow those are gorgeous and I want some. :) I hope someone can identify it for you. Don't know where in Canada you are but in my region we've been having wacky weather (last two years insanely rainy, this year so far approaching drought conditions) and I'm guessing a water issue one way or another. And someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it never ever hurts to deadhead spent blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
I suppose this is Aquilegia. This plant can live for 2 years. The first year leaves grow from seed. The second year the flowers appear. If you don't cut the dry flowers, seeds fall to the ground. So, you'll have a new plant the next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely Aquilegia. The leaf discolouration is fairly normal for these plants. they are prolific seed producers. We spend as much time weeding them out as any normal 'weed'. They are also very promiscuous so every seed may produce a different coloured offspring. Maybe they are biennial in Russia, but here in Britain they are fairly reasonably long lived perennials. Once they have finished flowering we cut them down to the ground and they then reshoot and often flower later in the season.
There is a lovely species called A. canadensis which has small red flowers, lovely thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Wow those are gorgeous and I want some. :) I hope someone can identify it for you. Don't know where in Canada you are but in my region we've been having wacky weather (last two years insanely rainy, this year so far approaching drought conditions) and I'm guessing a water issue one way or another. And someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it never ever hurts to deadhead spent blooms.
Thank you, they are nice, I'm in Ontario, where we haven't had much rain at all so far... I will dead head and see what happens, thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Definitely Aquilegia. The leaf discolouration is fairly normal for these plants. they are prolific seed producers. We spend as much time weeding them out as any normal 'weed'. They are also very promiscuous so every seed may produce a different coloured offspring. Maybe they are biennial in Russia, but here in Britain they are fairly reasonably long lived perennials. Once they have finished flowering we cut them down to the ground and they then reshoot and often flower later in the season.
There is a lovely species called A. canadensis which has small red flowers, lovely thing.
Thank you, good to know the leaf discolouration is normal, it's only happening to the purple not the red plant...I will cut it down and see what happens, thank you

Ask a Question