Pics of a new perennial bed I added last year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My goal is to bring back the butterfly population, so many of these plants are geared for that.
I'd love to name them all for you, but my list is not handy at this time. The first pic is a swamp weed.
'Asclepias incarnata' (Cinderella) I have three of these planted in this bed. From all my readings, a Monarch butterfly can smell this plant from twenty miles out. I have one pic with a Monarch laying eggs on it, but this post is photo heavy enough, so I'll hold off on that for now.
DSC_0108.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, your garden is gorgeous! I found that wild flowers work best in my garden! I got a lavender wild aster to grow, and for the past two years, I have seen different butterflies, moths, and bees all over the blooms.

The flower in your first photo is known to me as butterfly bush around here, and I would love to have this in my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, your garden is gorgeous! I found that wild flowers work best in my garden! I got a lavender wild aster to grow, and for the past two years, I have seen different butterflies, moths, and bees all over the blooms.

The flower in your first photo is known to me as butterfly bush around here, and I would love to have this in my garden.

Thanks, the first photo is a closeup of a swamp weed flower head. The third photo down, and all the way to the right is a butterfly bush not yet in flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You have an absolutely gorgeous garden, Llcenter! It looks very artistic. I love the picture of a hummingbird and the colors of your flowers:) They look lovely together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you claudine, I can't wait to see what the second years growth is gonna look like. Although the lavender might need a major cut back, or even moved to another location.

Reaction score
Lovely garden! Loved the first pic with the bees =D I'm sure your garden will look absolutely gorgeous this summer! I hope you can take some pics and show us :) Best of luck with your goal, I believe it is a very noble case (y) I really like to see gardens with a lot butterflies :love:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful garden, it would be nice to see more butterflies and bees in such a lovely garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
@LIcenter in the sixth picture I see a plant that is under and around the tree, Could you tell me what that is please? I have been looking for something that is hardy enough for New York weather but shade tolerant for under the tree's on the south end of the property. That looks like a ground cover of some sort but I am not sure. Your bed looks beautiful! I really like it a lot, this is similar to my style.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@LIcenter in the sixth picture I see a plant that is under and around the tree, Could you tell me what that is please? I have been looking for something that is hardy enough for New York weather but shade tolerant for under the tree's on the south end of the property. That looks like a ground cover of some sort but I am not sure. Your bed looks beautiful! I really like it a lot, this is similar to my style.

Thanks for the compliment Mockingbird. In answer to your question.
Very winter hardy, and easy to maintain. If you are not inclined to boarder it in, just run a mower around the leading edge to keep it in check. What you are looking at started out as twelve starts, and usually come in a 24 plant flat from any big box store. In less than two years that entire circle was filled in. I have another circle that is in more shade than sun and does equally well.
  1. Pachysandra is a genus of five species of evergreen perennials or subshrubs, belonging to the boxwood family Buxaceae. Wikipedia
  2. Scientific name: Pachysandra
  3. Rank: Genus
  4. Higher classification: Buxaceae
  5. Lower classifications: Pachysandra procumbens, Pachysandra terminalis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beautiful garden, it would be nice to see more butterflies and bees in such a lovely garden.
Thank you Pat, I'm at work right now, but tomorrow morning I'll post some pics of some of the butterflies, and skippers it already has brought in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Lovely photos Licenter and I love your description of butterflies Claudine as flying flowers. I hope you don't mind but I intend using. I promise I'll say it's yours..... Claudine form Poland says!!!!!(y)(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lovely photos Licenter and I love your description of butterflies Claudine as flying flowers. I hope you don't mind but I intend using. I promise I'll say it's yours..... Claudine form Poland says!!!!!(y)(y)
Awww, of course I don't mind:) Feel free to use it whenever you want to. I tend to be overly romantic about everything, especially about all things garden related;)

Ask a Question