Petrol Mower Recommendations & Fuel Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Folks,

Looking for a battle tested reccomendations for a petrol mower. I’m in the UK. My garden is approx 250 square metres.

I’d like a self propelled machine with a decent sized box. Stripes nice to have but not essential.

Looking around there are plenty of choices. My budget is around £300. There’s a Webb that fits this price with the above features but keen to hear real world feedback

I’ve read about different types of fuel and the damage that regular petrol can do if being left standing/stored too long. Do folks tend to just take a Jerry can to the petrol station and use regular unleaded? I did find a few places selling different types of fuel online but they are significantly more expensive than regular petrol.

Tips and advice much appreciated

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can just take a Jerry can to the petrol station when going for a drive or something, I've got a Briggs and Stratton petrol mower I used some years back it's still in perfect condition and I keep a can in my van truck for whenever I get to a petrol station

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
For an area that small I would not even think about a gas motor. Far too much hassle and storage space. What is it that you hope to gain with a gas mower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Husqvarna petrol mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It's now four years old and at it's last service the recommendation was to carry on using E5 unleaded petrol not the new E10. In fact my service agent said they recommend this for all makes
of mowers that were produced up until E10 was introduced.

Stripes nice to have but not essential.

You won't get stripes with a rotary mower, you would need a roller mower.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I recommend stay away...far away... from E5, E10. Eetc. in your small engines. Find a place that sells ethanol free gasoline and in spite of any inconveniences obtaining it, use it exclusively in your small engines. You will be so grateful you did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I recommend stay away...far away... from E5, E10. Eetc. in your small engines. Find a place that sells ethanol free gasoline and in spite of any inconveniences obtaining it, use it exclusively in your small engines. You will be so grateful you did.
If you can find gasoline?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom

There's very few petrol (gas) stations here that sell ethanol free fuel. It can be bought in cans and having just priced it - it will cost almost (conversion) $90 for 5 gallons, that's before tax is added. It's just not viable to run our mowers etc. on this.

With the price of petrol still rising we are currently paying around (conversion) $10.45 a gallon for E10 to keep our cars fed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There's very few petrol (gas) stations here that sell ethanol free fuel. It can be bought in cans and having just priced it - it will cost almost (conversion) $90 for 5 gallons, that's before tax is added. It's just not viable to run our mowers etc. on this.

With the price of petrol still rising we are currently paying around (conversion) $10.45 a gallon for E10 to keep our cars fed.
The idea of alcohol free fuel is for old machinery and the old alloys and seals used in those old days

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The idea of alcohol free fuel is for old machinery and the old alloys and seals used in those old days

Yes, I realise that DM but it's still expensive. It's a case of making a choice on whether to keep paying out that amount of money for old machinery or updating. With the said fuel difficult to buy here as well as the cost, for me it would be a no brainer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
For 3 decades I have run standard 89 octane regular type gas. The briggs motors continue to run fine. It is a combination of managing heat and fuel that contains a bit of detergent that really counts. This was recommended by the Stihl Company for its products and I continue to follow the advice as the little engines do so much hard work that a good fuel is less work from me. Briggs also recommends no more alcohol than that in E90 or E95 fuel.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most equipment today will be fine on E10 . Do some basic maintenance. Run your mower out of gas before any long term storage. Dont store gas for long periods. E10 in a tightly sealed can will last a good amount of time.
I have a 27 year old Crafstman mower thats been fed E10 its entire life. Stored over winter with a full tank. Starts and runs every year.

As far as recommendations on a mower. ? @ $300 they are all about the same most just have different labels

250 sq meters : that size I would be tempted to remove the grass , lay down mulch and plant shrubs that need minimal care.

Last edited:

Ask a Question