Ouch! ants are driving me out of my mind and yard!

Reaction score
My friends have recommended a product called Amdro. It's a poison. I am not very "green" about harmful and painful pests such as this and will probably get this poison and see if it kills the ants.

I remember my mom used a powdery poisonous substance that she would distribute using an old stocking. She would wear a mask. Whatever that was, it must have been some strong stuff! That was back in the '60's and '70's so it is probably banned by now.

I wonder if it was DDT? They say it is hard to control nematodes in Florida soil since they banned that substance.

Reaction score
I used to make one when I lived in Texas, actually worked pretty good, it had cornmeal, grapejuice and can't remember what else, but the poison was something like duraban, I can' remember, guess I should google it. Anyway worked great, sprinkle some around your outside electronics like your AC, house, any hills you can find...

Reaction score
I was reading some information about recyling stuff and came across some information about getting rid of ants.
Though I do not have the link to the article mentioned .. it said -- spreading coffee grounds and orange peels on the areas infested by ants destroys them. The nitrogen in the coffee grounds kills the ants is what it said. I haven't used this method but I remembered your question here and thought I will let you know.. Coffee grounds make excellent manure and so will orange peels enrich your soil.. you have nothing to worry and nothing to lose as both are wastes .. you could get the coffee grounds for free from major vendors in your area.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, maddie. I may give those methods a try. I've heard that coffee shops will give away their used grounds but I never understood why anyone would want them! Now I know one use for them, lol.

Reaction score
We have so many ant mounds in the yard and I have no idea what to do. What are the best ways to deal with ants? I have some large mounds that look dead and I have lots of small mounds with activity. I can't do anything in the yard without getting bit and I am so ANGRY, I would shove sticks of dynamite in the mounds and explode them if I thought it would help! What should I do?

I am going to reply before reading other replies so that I don't get distracted.

We have used Amdro and diatomaceous earth with some good results. Last October, I planted some tansy a friend gave to me. He said it is supposed to be an ant repellent.

Reaction score
My friends have recommended a product called Amdro. It's a poison. I am not very "green" about harmful and painful pests such as this and will probably get this poison and see if it kills the ants.

Yes, Amdro works well. I dislike using anything toxic, but sometimes there seems to be no choice.

I remember my mom used a powdery poisonous substance that she would distribute using an old stocking. She would wear a mask. Whatever that was, it must have been some strong stuff! That was back in the '60's and '70's so it is probably banned by now.

I wonder if it was DDT? They say it is hard to control nematodes in Florida soil since they banned that substance.

It could have been DDT, but one should also wear a mask if getting too close to diatomaceous earth, because it can cause some problems if you breathe it in, so there's a possibility it was that. Interestingly enough, one can buy food grade diatomaceous earth and drink it in water (it helps the joints and bones, so I understand).

Reaction score
I am going to reply before reading other replies so that I don't get distracted.

We have used Amdro and diatomaceous earth with some good results. Last October, I planted some tansy a friend gave to me. He said it is supposed to be an ant repellent.

I am in Organic Gardening treating plants with Herbs and Spices
To rid of Ants and other crawling insects in your garden, just peel an Onion
cut in slices, place each piece 3 inches deep in the soil at least a yard apart, and away from the roots of the plant. This will get rid of the pests at least for a year

Reaction score
I am in Organic Gardening treating plants with Herbs and Spices
To rid of Ants and other crawling insects in your garden, just peel an Onion
cut in slices, place each piece 3 inches deep in the soil at least a yard apart, and away from the roots of the plant. This will get rid of the pests at least for a year
Will this work for plants in pots. We were pulling an old plant out of a pot and in so doing thee must have been a 1000 ants everywhere, it was disgusting. I need to find a method at keeping them out of my pots.

Reaction score
Delta Dust is very good for something like this. I've used it to destroy a rather large yellowjack nest inside an outside wall.

You need to get a small hand bellows to dispense it. Pump it into the anthill openings and it will creep its way in the deeper levels of the nest. It's best to do something like this at night, when the nest is less active so they don't immediately come out and start attacking you.

If it was me, I would get dressed for war (fully covered, with no access point to my body). I would attack just a few of the hills, starting with one furthest from the house and quickly work my way back to the house. Since it would be best to do this in the evening (look it up to know the best time), it might be a good idea to get some little wire flag to mark the ones you want to target (maybe red flags for ones to do, and blue flags for the ones treated). This is a war, so be organized about it.

I think this is a pretty serious problem because what you see as separate ant hills might, in fact, be separate access points to one giant nest that is growing. Fire ants are no joke.

Ask a Question