My "Off Season" Garden veggies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't mean year by year, I meant moving the bucket about daily.

Always been my problem, they had them as babies, but by putting the bucket on a work bench they didn't find them.
Hang the buckets up and swing them like this:
Cabbage moth have a hard time landing on that.

newtons-cradle-gif-animation.gif

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Landcress is coming on....

DSC02168.JPG

Looks small at the moment but comes into it's own from January onwards.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
There's another one you have hooked me into trying o_O . Ordered some seeds today.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Update: Finally getting some cooler weather and the "off-season" plants are exploding in growth.

Potatoes and tomatoes in containers on left; carrots, greens and radishes next over; potatoes next over just finished blooming; broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower next over; and then onion starts.
fall row potato 2023.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking good Meadowlark :cool:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Harvests rolling in each day.

Have you ever considered Daikon radish as a cover crop? The root systems are incredible penetrating up to 2 ft easily and the tops are great weed suppressors...all that and they are great eating radish.

Peppers, Choy, Turnips, Sweet Potatoes, broccoli, chard, kale, and collards accompany the radishes.

daikons off season.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Purple sprouting only makes small heads in the spring, not like the big head on the summer broccolli, just lots of them.

I tried a Black Spanish Radish once, Victorian variety. It grew huge roots but tasted 'orrible :vomit:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Found a few brassicas in pots, probably summer broccoli that didn't come to much.

DSC02212.JPG

So I lobbed them in where the potatoes were, might get some spring greens out of them

DSC02223.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Today's lunch: Pot Roast and garden veggies potatoes, onions, carrots, and one Daikon radish

View attachment 100436
Looks delicious. Exactly like my wife makes, except not as much gravy and she adds celery. One of my favorite meals. I like lots of gravy in mine. Love your choice of "fine china". We do that quite often! Sometimes we use the "fancy napkins" too - the ones off the roll. :)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Looks delicious. Exactly like my wife makes, except not as much gravy and she adds celery. One of my favorite meals. I like lots of gravy in mine. Love your choice of "fine china". We do that quite often! Sometimes we use the "fancy napkins" too - the ones off the roll. :)
Yes, normally that pot would include celery but only garden stuff this time...should have added Bok choy to replace celery.

We use mostly paper plates, bowls, cups and towels and cycle them through the compost pile. Pretty efficient use of time.

Thanks for the comments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hmmm... bok choy? Sounds like a plan. I shall mention that to my wife. We like the baby ones sauteed with a little garlic and ginger , Chinese style. There's a restaurant in the Southcenter Mall in Tukwila (south Seattle), called Din Tai Fung. Gotta go there every time we visit the kids. They specialize in those little seamed soup dumplings. Absolutely delicious! Fascinating watching them make them through like a shop window while you wait in line. There's always a line!! Even if you have reservations. They do bok choy like that.

Ask a Question