My love - hate relationship with Euphorbia marginata

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Okay. I admit it. Euphorbia is a beautiful plant. I love the soft texture and the variety of colors from the light to dark green tones with the stripes of white. What I do not appreciate is how dangerous this plant can be when picked! The milky substance inside can and will burn your skin. Even had it squirt into my eyes before! Big ouch!
Anyone here has some Euphorbia growing in their garden?

640px-Snow-on-the-mountain_WNWR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What an amazing looking plant! However, I have to play devil's advocate for a moment and point out there are these lovely things called gloves, lol. There are dozens upon dozens of plants that can cause skin irritation in some and nothing of much in others. In the future use shears, and maybe even safety goggles :sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The flower looks like lily leek we have in the yard, but I don't have this! If it is that dangerous and can burn your skin, I am glad we don't have it since we have a dog and children running around. Yours look very pretty though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What an amazing looking plant! However, I have to play devil's advocate for a moment and point out there are these lovely things called gloves, lol. There are dozens upon dozens of plants that can cause skin irritation in some and nothing of much in others. In the future use shears, and maybe even safety goggles :sneaky:

:LOL: Yes! Yes! Handy dandy gloves! How right you are by reminding me to use them! Here is my issue. I am out in the field cutting and I try and remember to keep the flowers at an angle away from my skin. Sometimes, I get distracted and forget and they drip on my arms! I absolutely love your idea for goggles! I will share that idea! lol And yes to the dozens of plants that do cause skin irritants!

The flower looks like lily leek we have in the yard, but I don't have this! If it is that dangerous and can burn your skin, I am glad we don't have it since we have a dog and children running around. Yours look very pretty though!

The above flower is compliments of wiki so others could get a visual, ;)
I will post one of ours for you. I was just in a hurry earlier.
I am not saying do not plant these flowers, but as ChanellG, pointed out, there are all kinds of plants in our yards and gardens, etc. some poisonous, some not, just have to be aware. And in my case slow down and be more cautious when cutting. :)

1522258_405793906221630_775883067_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Absolutely beautiful flower. I can understand why you may have not been as cautious.
The beauty of it is so captivating. Please do share your pics. Also, if you are like me,
unfortunately there is not a lot of time and so when I get an hour to myself....
I am thinking "Go...go...go" and I have to slow down and plan out better what I need to get done and what supplies to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Generally when I handle plants like that I put on gloves and wear goggles. I can take a bit of skin irritation but I will not sacrifice my eyes. I can be a bit overcautious but time spent in chemistry labs and in workplaces that have handled waste material in the past has taught me to be safe than sorry with eyes haha. Skin is a fairly tough shield against lots of stuff but eyes are extremely vulnerable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
There's a vast range of euphorbias with different coloured leaves and flowers. All of them can exude the sticky white substance that irritates the skin. but that shouldn't be a deterrent to having them in your garden.

A very large percentage of plants in gardens are either irritants or poisonous but animals seem to know to avoid them and young children can easily be taught what to be careful of. I think Zigs has published a list of these plants on another forum in the past.

We have about a dozen varieties of euphorbia in our garden. They're in different sizes and colours. Most are varieties of green but some have red and orange shades.

This photo shows four different varieties. In the bottom left of the picture is one with light green flowers, bottom middle is with yellowy green flowers, in between them is a smaller one that has brownish red flowers and the fourth is the very big one behind the yellowy one. It has nice green leaves, yellow flowers, smells of honey (hence its name mellifera) and is evergreen.

P1200270.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have Euphorbia but it does not look like yours. It has a lot of thorns and latex too. I have to be very careful when handling it. It can be propagated
euphorbia.jpg
from cuttings. From the one plant I had I now have several.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Yes, there are some varieties that can be quite vicious. None of ours have thorns but they all have the latex to some degree. We don't find the latex much of a problem as the plants are pretty tough so don't break easily. If we're pruning them we wear gloves and handle them carefully.

I'll try and take photos of some of the flowers later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, love, love, love your pictures @grouie @ Bootsy
I just arrived up in Michigan. I have been busy planting in the back yard of the house in town. Have not made it out to the farm, yet. Son and father busy getting the Spring maintenance done. EG opening the farm house, greenhouse, field, etc for the season. When I do, I will check to see if the Euphorbia has started to pop up. If so, I will post a picture, too. I just love those little dainty flowers @ groupie. I must say, I appreciate the variety and writeup you shared, too @ Bootsie. All the plants look so happy and healthy! Beautiful landscaping, too. We can not get some of your varieties! sigh. This is exactly why, I am happy to have joined this forum. It is so fun to see the varies varieties from everyone's gardens around the world!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Oh, love, love, love your pictures @grouie @ Bootsy
I just arrived up in Michigan. I have been busy planting in the back yard of the house in town. Have not made it out to the farm, yet. Son and father busy getting the Spring maintenance done. EG opening the farm house, greenhouse, field, etc for the season. When I do, I will check to see if the Euphorbia has started to pop up. If so, I will post a picture, too. I just love those little dainty flowers @ groupie. I must say, I appreciate the variety and writeup you shared, too @ Bootsie. All the plants look so happy and healthy! Beautiful landscaping, too. We can not get some of your varieties! sigh. This is exactly why, I am happy to have joined this forum. It is so fun to see the varies varieties from everyone's gardens around the world!

Same here. I get to learn and see all those pictures of flowers that do not grow here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
There's a vast range of euphorbias with different coloured leaves and flowers. All of them can exude the sticky white substance that irritates the skin. but that shouldn't be a deterrent to having them in your garden.

A very large percentage of plants in gardens are either irritants or poisonous but animals seem to know to avoid them and young children can easily be taught what to be careful of. I think Zigs has published a list of these plants on another forum in the past.

We have about a dozen varieties of euphorbia in our garden. They're in different sizes and colours. Most are varieties of green but some have red and orange shades.

This photo shows four different varieties. In the bottom left of the picture is one with light green flowers, bottom middle is with yellowy green flowers, in between them is a smaller one that has brownish red flowers and the fourth is the very big one behind the yellowy one. It has nice green leaves, yellow flowers, smells of honey (hence its name mellifera) and is evergreen.

View attachment 5472
Lovely design of shapes and sizes. I can envisage an area in my garden that could benefit from your idea. Thanks for the inspiration. I do have euphorbias but not altogether like that. Great

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You do have a great collection of Euphorbia. I have just one.

Ask a Question