Marks Garden

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I’ve recently built a wooden shed/garden room, it has guttering etc, but the ground approx 1m from the shed is getting worse with water sitting on it. I’m just asking as I am about to put decorative stone around to potentially soak up the water but what depth do you all think would be enough? The shed is 16ft x 8 ft. Tia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - welcome Mark :). Firstly, can I ask why the water is not draining away. What is your soil like? It sounds as if it might be heavy clay. Even after heavy continuous rain here on chalk, the water drains within a day.

Assuming it is heavy clay, I would dig a succession of holes around the shed in the wet area a few feet deep and fill those with grit to start with. Just aeration with a spike or fork will help, but in a bad case larger plugs would be beneficial. After that's in place, I would just put a minimal amount of grit on the top to make it look posh!
It would be a good area to plant some climbing roses and honeysuckle. Having plants there would be very beneficial to aid the drainage.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
No I am passed the idea of fixing the soil no I will just go with a stone are and add a couple of pots to brighten it up 😊 thanks very much though

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would be a really good idea to do what you originally had in mind. The stones should be about that high - You know, up to there :giggle:

Ask a Question