Making Messy Gardens Look Good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know it! I wish I had photos to share of my last house and the "messy" front yard. At the time I was dating a man who had a Masters in Horticulture, and he helped me put it together. It definitely took some money and work to get everything planted and growing, but it was pretty much maintenance-free after that. Most of the ferns and hostas I have here came from that house but I left everything else behind.

One thing that article doesn't mention is (in northern climates) to plant some things for "winter interest." I had some tall ornamental grass and yucca that looked pretty all winter, then I cut it back in spring as the new growth started coming in.

Winter interest plants:
http://www.chicagobotanic.org/plantinfo/creating_winter_interest

Reaction score
This looks like such a wonderful idea :) I'd indeed try it if I had a big garden, it might take a lot work to do it, but I think in the end it would make a great garden. Plus I think it's less stress with a garden like this one, native plants are great :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love messy gardens. They're beautiful, artistic and full of life:love: My future, dream garden will be very messy. I'll never use a mower;)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is a "Messy Garden" and a "Wild Flower Garden" the same? I do like the Wild Flower Garden look.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I get a monthly email gardening newsletter from Cornell Lab and this article about creating a "messy" garden with native plantings has a ton of great tips; some I've never thought of. I've saved it.
I didn't get around to it this year as planned, but next spring I am saying bye bye to my front lawn and it's all going messy! :)

Oh Goodness! I'm having coniptions at the thought. :eek: Can messy be the same as busy? I like busy!!!
I'm sure it will be lovely Beth, very creative and stunning. (y)
I'm not really a neat freak, I have very untidy cupboards....maybe I could rethink them as creative and stunning!!!!;)

Ask a Question