Lydford forest garden and river

Reaction score
The villagers at Lydford on Fosse created a communal fruit garden about 10 years ago, people can help themselves to the fruit.

It's still a lovely place to visit even before the fruit comes.

Gooseberries are forming.

Loads of flowers on the Blackcurrants. There are Apples, Pears and even a Medlar tree, which I make jelly from sometimes.

The river is right next to it.

That place is gorgeous. I love the flowering tree. The river looks so peaceful.
You're blessed to have access to such a beautiful community garden
I wish we had a place like that in Miami.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It is lovely, but you should see it now the hot weather has come, the river fills up with people swimming.

Was there a few weeks back with the girls. A farmer turned up & looked all along the river & under the bridge. Then got on his phone & in a loud voice said something like, "Ello George, had a report of a dead calf in the river just down from the church, i'm down here now but there's no sign of it."

He then asked some folk in the river if they'd seen it, when they said no, he said "I expect it'll bob up when it starts to bloat."

:D Talk about a quick way to empty a river of swimmers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Dead calf?:eek: Poor thing:(
But it must be really nice and refreshing to swim in a river (without anything dead of course, lol:p ). The river that flows near my home is too big and it would be dangerous to swim in it. I would be scared of vortices.
Also, it's rather polluted:confused:

Reaction score
Wonderful pictures! What do gooseberries taste like? I have wanted to order some to plant here but they are not allowed in my state for some reason.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
I never knew that Shellyann,

http://chathamchatlist.com/highligh...plants-legally-imported-grown-north-carolina/

Can't see how they would eradicate a plant thats spread by bird droppings.

They taste a bit sharp, almost lemony.

Well thank you for letting me know how they taste. They look awful tempting in the seed catalogues every year. LOL That article is from 2011 and I wonder how the testing is going and if they have found anything conslusive out yet. I will have to research that.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm curious - what do they sell in a Polish section in Tesco?:p

Finally had a camera in my pocket in Tesco today, not sure if its Polish or Welsh, certainly isn't English :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCF0010.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well thank you for letting me know how they taste. They look awful tempting in the seed catalogues every year. LOL That article is from 2011 and I wonder how the testing is going and if they have found anything conslusive out yet. I will have to research that.

They are hairy too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, I see my favorite Polish milk, cookies and soups in the picture:D It's funny, it looks exactly like a Polish shop. But everything is much more expensive. I had no idea that you can buy products with Polish labels there, it's nice.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you use the Euro now Claudine or are you still using Axolotls? :D

Got some funny looks taking a pic in Tescos :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I bet:D
We are still using Polish Złoty and personally, I hope that this will never change. In Italy, where I spend some time almost every year, everything became more expensive after they started using Euro. I don't know, I just like Polish Złoty:) (oh, and "złoty" means golden, it sounds nice:p).

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D

Ahh, wondered what that meant, sounds good. Our Pound is literally based on the weight.

Some king a long time ago, got a silver smith to see how far he could divide a pound of silver up, he managed to make 240 separate coins out of it, so for years our currency was based on a ridiculous number, if only he'd said, wouldn't it be easier to divide it by 10 :D

Reaction score
They are hairy too

Hairy? Wow Well then, I can most certainly mark them off of my list of things that I want to try. It is so good to have a board like this where we can learn from others and not make too many mistakes! ;) Thank you for the heads up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
:D

Ahh, wondered what that meant, sounds good. Our Pound is literally based on the weight.

Some king a long time ago, got a silver smith to see how far he could divide a pound of silver up, he managed to make 240 separate coins out of it, so for years our currency was based on a ridiculous number, if only he'd said, wouldn't it be easier to divide it by 10 :D

Lol, I like the story, I haven't heard it before.
Another funny thing is that 1 złoty is made of silver, not of gold:p

Ask a Question