LIVING for SPRING!

Reaction score
I love spring and summer! We have three acres and on that small three acres we have two calves (freezer food eventually) a handful of chickens, a small group of rabbits (also freezer food) a nice pond, several large garden areas and a small orchard with fruit trees and various berries, goji's being the newest addition along with raspberries, blackberries ,strawberries and blue berries. We live in zone 5B kind of a high dry desert only we have irrigation. I love summer, I am so glad that spring is here again!!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard :D. Sounds like you've got a lovely place there! I'd love to have an orchard one day, just being able to pick fruit right from a selection of trees sounds like heaven :).

j.w

Reaction score
welcomeumbrella.gif
lovinglife :D
Sounds like the song Old McDonalds Farm............and on that farm we had 2 calves Ee i ee i oh! ;)

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! So glad to see this forum! It is kind of like Old Mcdonalds Farm! I am a farm girl so it is my slice of heaven. I figure I have the room, I should be producing as much of our food as possible, it tastes better and is better for us..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
very true and the cost is up front and after that it is a win win for you .I try to grow as much as I can and even give extras to neighbors

Reaction score
It has cost a lot. We plopped a house down in an alfalfa field, so we got the pleasure of doing everything, and trust me it all costs money. But, now we have most of it all in place and paid for, our entire micro farm will be paid for in another 6 years, (doing the happy dance!!) I feel so fortunate to live where I do. It is nothing fancy, but it suits us perfectly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My house was built in a field that at one time was all pines and before .This was back in 2003 in November and the house was not quite done .Flooring was not in yet and none of the moldings were in .I already owned it outright but could not move in as there was no certificate of occupation issued yet .The guest house was not built yet or the carport and the 4 porches were not done yet .I retired he for the piece and quiet
start of splendors gate house 001.jpg
the start only house 001.jpg
I bought the 3 lots it had been forested .It takes time to get where you want and you get there ,but you are never done and never will be .lol

Attachments

• 2012 house 002.JPG
    2012 house 002.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 393
  • out house 002.JPG
    out house 002.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 415
  • out house 004.JPG
    out house 004.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 400
Reaction score
Very nice! I agree with the never done part, we have lived here 10 years and we have come a long ways, but as you said, there are always new things to do or finish. We have provided all the sweat and labor on our place, and believe me it has been lots of sweat, oh and a few beers along the way.......:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
and always new things to buy .I did all this and even moved 4 truckloads of stone for my hill 18 tons each load .The mulch so far 12 loads /2 cubic yards done and at least 5 or 6 more .I don't hire anyone and even built or help build the decks and guest house and carport ,My older son is a contractor so he was a big help .You should post some pics so we can see what you have done it gives us ideas.I love finding new things to think about doing

Attachments

• new splendors gate house pics 009.JPG
    new splendors gate house pics 009.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 367
  • pee wee and butterfly 004.JPG
    pee wee and butterfly 004.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 409
Reaction score
IMG_0120a.jpgIMG_0624a.jpg Very true!! Here are a couple, don't have much here at work, or many recent ones. Here is a picture of my green house during construction, and one of my pond, also not complete.

Reaction score
Thank you! I love the greenhouse as well. It is actually mostly constructed from recycled materials, so not only is it a greenhouse, it is a green greenhouse.

Reaction score
How very green of you !!!! You know, we have a Habitat for Humanity at the end of my alley. I could go there and get the wood and windows. It would save a lot of $$. I don't have much space, but a smaller version of what you have would be perfect.

Ask a Question