Apartment Living and Growing grass

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
It is very difficult to grow grass when you live in an apartment and I went to visit a friend who has bought the fake grass and placed it out on her patio. It looks absolutely eye catching and very attractive but I also noticed that she had fake trees and plants too, surely this can be grown there so why everything as fake? She said that she did have real trees and the birds came along and nested in them which caused a huge mess that she had no time to clean. Now with the fake plants she has only one that attracts the birds.
If you didn't have the time to do gardening would you choose fake instead of real?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really don't like fake plants. Most of them look tacky and weird. They don't smell and don't grow. Where is the fun in it?
If I didn't have time for gardening, I'd choose only low maintenance plants like cacti, succulents and ferns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't like fake plants or flowers of any kind. If it is not real, then I rather not having any thing at all! But whatever work best for your friend, she is entitled! I don't mind having bird nests. In fact I love to watch the nests.

Reaction score
Not sure I'd choose to go fake... after all gardening is a lot of fun :) When I have the time and space in my own house I will surely do it. But I can understand why people in apartments would choose fake grass. Plus those birds making their mess is something that has always put me off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We lived in an apartment with no ground to speak of except the concrete driveway. We stayed there for 2 years. But knowing my husband who is a die-hard gardener, we bought plastic pots where he planted ginger and onions.That served as our portable garden. Every other day, the pots go out for sunning and alternately stay inside the house. That is better than having no green thing inside the house at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We lived in an apartment with no ground to speak of except the concrete driveway. We stayed there for 2 years. But knowing my husband who is a die-hard gardener, we bought plastic pots where he planted ginger and onions.That served as our portable garden. Every other day, the pots go out for sunning and alternately stay inside the house. That is better than having no green thing inside the house at all.[/QUOTE

Sounds like a good compromise, Corzhens.
I do have plenty of space outside but I still like to have some indoor plants but one really does have to be vigilant in giving them outside time and not placing them too near the central heating vent!!!! I think I've killed my lovely new fern, it's outside now with one healthy looking frond.:confused:.
I'm trying to do a modern take on the Edwardian look. You know the look, with Tapestries on the walls, lots of furniture and large ferns. I've hung a bright red, patterned bejeweled shawl up behind the telly, not very Edwardian. I do actually have extra furniture whilst my son and his wife and I'm sure , I just may have mentioned before, their very gorgeous but hairy smelliie dog, 2 hairy cats and 2 not hairy pythons (housed in the garage) moved in with us a while ago, for a while with a while to go. Have a coupe of black metal and glass stands for the pots, like I said, a modern take. Only 2 plants now so I hope my fern manages to make a come back. I think I need 2 of each so they can alternate between inside and outside. :sick:
It's winter here and quite wet and cold so indoor is coping my attention. Once the weather improves I'm out in the garden and inside doesn't get a look in.:LOL:

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I am not a fan of fake and there is nothing better than having a real life plant and watching it grow or blossom but if you absolutely cant do it then fake will do just to give you the illusion of beauty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We lived in an apartment with no ground to speak of except the concrete driveway. We stayed there for 2 years. But knowing my husband who is a die-hard gardener, we bought plastic pots where he planted ginger and onions.That served as our portable garden. Every other day, the pots go out for sunning and alternately stay inside the house. That is better than having no green thing inside the house at all.
Same here. I don't have a garden either, but I grow a lot of plants in pots. They're my miniature, portable garden and I love them all:) It's a lot of fun to watch them grow and bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We now have our house, @claudine but it seems that the garden is still small so we have some planter box for the herbs and lately we planted a grape vine in one planter box. For some more place ot plant, we are utilizing the adjacent vacant lot for our purpose since the owner is not using it. That's where we plant our cassava and other crops. We also have banana plants and mulberry there.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I am absolutely loving my herb garden and they way the plants grow it is sad to think that there are people that cant grow these at all but I suppose many people are not interested in the plant growing and watching flowers develop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We now have our house, @claudine but it seems that the garden is still small so we have some planter box for the herbs and lately we planted a grape vine in one planter box. For some more place ot plant, we are utilizing the adjacent vacant lot for our purpose since the owner is not using it. That's where we plant our cassava and other crops. We also have banana plants and mulberry there.
Having a small garden is better than not having any garden at all:) It's great that you can utilize the adjacent vacant lot for your purpose!:)
How big are banana plants? I remember seeing one when I was a kid. It seemed giant to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Having a small garden is better than not having any garden at all:) It's great that you can utilize the adjacent vacant lot for your purpose!:)
How big are banana plants? I remember seeing one when I was a kid. It seemed giant to me.

There are different varieties of banana. The biggest variety reacher 10 feet tall. We used to have that but it is a big problem during harvest time. The banana cluster would fall on the ground and some bananas would be ruined. Last year we planted the smaller varitey that reached only 6 feet tall so the banana cluster is easier to harvest although it was pretty heavy with almost 150 bananas so it took 3 people to harvest it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There are different varieties of banana. The biggest variety reacher 10 feet tall. We used to have that but it is a big problem during harvest time. The banana cluster would fall on the ground and some bananas would be ruined. Last year we planted the smaller varitey that reached only 6 feet tall so the banana cluster is easier to harvest although it was pretty heavy with almost 150 bananas so it took 3 people to harvest it.
Wow, that is a lot of bananas! It must be wonderful to be able to grow them:) When I want to eat a banana, I have to go to the store;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Wow, that is a lot of bananas! It must be wonderful to be able to grow them:) When I want to eat a banana, I have to go to the store;)

We also buy banana in the market. That more than 150 bananas in one fruiting is just a lot and we cannot eat all of it so we had to give more than half of it to friends, relatives, and neighbors. Here is the photo of that banana about 2 months before harvesting. Take note of the heart (that's what we call the red part).
IMG_9465 saging.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We also buy banana in the market. That more than 150 bananas in one fruiting is just a lot and we cannot eat all of it so we had to give more than half of it to friends, relatives, and neighbors. Here is the photo of that banana about 2 months before harvesting. Take note of the heart (that's what we call the red part).View attachment 7933
I understand:) Your banana plant looks great! What exactly is the red part? It's not edible, is it? It looks like a weird flower:)

Ask a Question