Kohlrabi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My wife watches cooking shows and has decided that she wants me to grow kohlrabi. Anyone out there have any experience or tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Best months for growing in that zone are January, February and March - so you're on track!

Here's some more details:

They're best planted at soil temperatures between 46°F and 86° F
Space plants: 4 - 10 inches apart
Harvest in 7-10 weeks.
Compatible with (can grow in same bed): Beets, celery, cucumber, onions, marigold, nasturtium, rhubarb, aromatic herbs (sage, dill, chamomile)
Avoid growing in same bed: Climbing (pole) beans, tomato, peppers (chilli, capsicum), eggplant (aubergine), strawberry, mustard

Hope that helps a little! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some purple Kohlrabi before and it was very tasty, not sure which variety it was though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I grew kohlrabi two year's running. Didn't use them much. Will give them another try and lacto-ferment them. They grew well and were as good as any I have seen in the supermarket. This is Zone 5.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Look out for the giant ones. The normal variety need to be harvested when not much bigger than a gold ball otherwise they tend to be 'woody'. The giant ones can be left until they are baseball size before using.
There is no difference in taste between the purple and the white that we can see.
We like them mashed with a little butter and pepper. They can be grated and eaten raw as a salad veg too.
Also said that any grazing animal given the choice between these and turnips/swede will choose the Kohl-rabi.

Ask a Question