Kohlrabi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was just recently introduced to this wonderful alternative to potatoes and I am hoping that someone here may have suggestions on how to grow them.

I will be moving in the next few months to South East Georgia and it is very wet there, but the soil is perfect for growing. I intend to create grow boxes but use the natural soil that is already there. Does anyone know what the PH should be of the soil or anything. All information would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Kohlrabi grows well without any problems. Ph probably not too important. The root is usually dug when small since it can have a strong flavor and apparently can get woody. I used it like a small turnip and didn't find it capable of replacing the potato. I don't grow it anymore,since I didn't particularly like the flavour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Headfullofbees is correct, grow it like a cabbage. I don’t see it as an alternative to either potato or turnip. In my opinion, cooking it ruins it. Eat it raw. I’m mostly vegetarian and do a lot of veggie trays as a healthy alternative to chips and crackers for parties. Wouldn’t think of making one without kohlrabi if I have it or if it’s available at the market. Baby carrots, radishes, mini-sweet peppers, broccoli, jicama, and kohlrabi. Unless it’s a group that I’ve exposed to kohlrabi before, someone always holds up a piece of kohlrabi and asks what it is, then writes it down or records it in their smart phone.

Ask a Question