It's a Sad Day in My Garden

Reaction score
As I still have quite a number of plants still producing a good number of tomatoes I haven't reached that sad day yet - but that said - don't think it will be for much longer now that the weather has just taken a dramatic turn and suddenly become extremely wintery :(

Fortunately though - eating store bought tomatoes is not something that I ever have to worry about - as I always make sure that I have enough dried, canned and pureed tomatoes as well as frozen salsas and sauces to make sure that I can get through to the next growing season without having to resort to buying them - which is a good thing as I really can't justify paying for something that bears no resemblance to a tomato other than how it looks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Perhaps a sad day, perhaps bittersweet as much of our gardens take a well-deserved rest, dreaming of the bounty they will produce after their winter's nap.

For me, eating seasonally brings a new and lovely surprise around each corner...my jerruhale pumpkins are so sweet and yummy in soups, baked goods, and next week, the all important pumpkin pie!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I looked out the back window yesterday and realized all the leaves are off the trees, it was a little sad to see the 5 trees bare. The bare trees reminds me winter is knocking on the door.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My outside world is coming to a close down soon and it is sad to see everything so brown now. I freeze a big bad of cherry tomatoes and save them to make soup mostly. They are not as good as fresh, but barely buy tomatoes in the store.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Today, I pulled out the last of the summer tomato vines, and ate the final cherry tomato. A moment of silence, please...

How many of you find it hard to go back to eating store-bought tomatoes when the growing season is over? I can hardly stand the thought of those sad, mealy tomatoes from the grocery store!
My head is bowed and my hand on my chest lisani. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
Sad indeed, the very last tomatoes in the greenhouse picked today after the hard frosts over the weekend and the plants will come out tomorrow. On the plus side, whilst I was moving about and picking them, I was brushing against the mint which has put on a second flush of growth and the smell was absolutely wonderful. Just on the off chance, I stuck the fork into the end of one of the borders where I thought i'd seen a potato plant earlier in the year and - yes!!! - a good big handful of Pink Fir Apples. Bonus :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You know you take your garden seriously when you get sad that it has to sleep for a while. The tomatoes will come back round spring next year but it is really sweet when you pick a eat your homegrown tomato. store bought tomato has its place but doesn't compare at all to what your own yard produces with that organic quality and super freshness. Something to consider is the possibility of growing tomatoes indoors during winter months. I've seen it done but it takes some preparation and time, but consider it an indoor hobby when you're all locked up inside from the cold.

Ask a Question