It's a Sad Day in My Garden

Reaction score
Today, I pulled out the last of the summer tomato vines, and ate the final cherry tomato. A moment of silence, please...

How many of you find it hard to go back to eating store-bought tomatoes when the growing season is over? I can hardly stand the thought of those sad, mealy tomatoes from the grocery store!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Today, I pulled out the last of the summer tomato vines, and ate the final cherry tomato. A moment of silence, please...

How many of you find it hard to go back to eating store-bought tomatoes when the growing season is over? I can hardly stand the thought of those sad, mealy tomatoes from the grocery store!
I don't. Store bought tomatoes are a waste of money. I would just as soon eat the bag. I barely make do by canning a lot of tomatoes during the season. They aren't fresh but still better than the store bought garbage impersonating a tomato

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The end of any vegetable's season is sad--but seasonal produce is so much better than the "picked green, shipped in a truck, misted at the grocery store" stuff. Looking forward to that first juicy, tasty, ripe tomato from next year's garden is part of the joy of gardening!

Reaction score
Honestly Chuck, I didn't buy any tomatoes last winter. I just couldn't do it, after the bumper crop the summer before.

Marlingardener, I'm already plotting the overthrow of the spring garden. I got a late start this year, and didn't get the yield of previous gardens. Next year, I'm gonna start earlier!

Reaction score
Ah well, at least you get to eat your own tomatoes every year ;) You could try canning them tho, not good for salads tho, but for everything else it's just perfect. Dehydrating your own tomatoes is also a good idea, we use those almost for everything as well :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still picking decent-sized tomatoes and loads of cucumbers from my polytunnel, but I too will be sad when that day (not far off now) comes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not a big fan of store-bought tomatoes, but I always eat them in winter. I can't stop myself, I'm an addict, I can't imagine my life without tomatoes;) They taste a little better if you sprinkle them with salt and add a few drops of lemon juice.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Pulled mine out a few weeks back, but the bucket of green ones I thought wouldn't make it are still ripening, just stewed a load up with Corgettes, onions, potato, chilli & sardines :)

Reaction score
I can't stand the store bought tomatoes. The vine ripened ones are better than nothing during the time that I can't get some from the garden, but its so hard to even get through the skin on most store bought ones. I live in the city now and encounter lots of people that don't know the difference and I feel so sorry for them. I guess if you've never had the delicious tomatoes straight from the garden then you don't know what you're missing.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of the main reasons I garden is to have the great tasting tomato that beats what you can get in the store. It is sad to see the end of the growing season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
All good things must end they say, but I have yet to see why. So what's next?
There are carrots and onions under weigh in the polytunnel, with more to go outside (just finishing preparing the ground.
They over-winter here.
Spring cauliflower are just about ready to go in, and I must get the broad beans (fava) in pronto.
Garlic is in the fridge, and I'll try a few of them in the polytunnel, and if I have the chance, get some turnips in there too.
Rhubarb crowns have been lifted, divided and replaced. I have two pieces left over, plant or force?
I'll have to make up my mind about a grapevine too, as that will have to go in in about 5-6 weeks.
Also, as the season has been extended by some unusually mild weather, there are more weeds between plants that have finished cropping late, so there's more clearing to do and less time to do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are carrots and onions under weigh in the polytunnel, with more to go outside (just finishing preparing the ground.
They over-winter here.
Spring cauliflower are just about ready to go in, and I must get the broad beans (fava) in pronto.
Garlic is in the fridge, and I'll try a few of them in the polytunnel, and if I have the chance, get some turnips in there too.
Rhubarb crowns have been lifted, divided and replaced. I have two pieces left over, plant or force?
I'll have to make up my mind about a grapevine too, as that will have to go in in about 5-6 weeks.
Also, as the season has been extended by some unusually mild weather, there are more weeds between plants that have finished cropping late, so there's more clearing to do and less time to do it.
Looks like you will be as busy as a one legged man in a dance contest. All in all how did this years garden go? Any disappointments or unexpected successes? Anything in the organic methods that could be improved?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like you will be as busy as a one legged man in a dance contest. All in all how did this years garden go? Any disappointments or unexpected successes? Anything in the organic methods that could be improved?
Just hope it's not a cajun two-step.
There's loads to tell, some good, some not so good.
All the mistakes have been my fault, rather than the methods, and really come down to the change in environment from an isolated garden to an intensively cultured allotment area.
I don't really have time to do it justice right now, but I'll sit down and do an in-depth post in a few days, and a "My Year on the Allotment," when ermm... I've had the allotment a year.

Ask a Question