Is the length of a carrot dependent upon the amount of growing space?

Reaction score
I'm concerned about growing carrots in a container. Will I get bigger carrots from a bigger (taller) container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can't be certain, because I've never actually grown them, but I'm pretty sure that it depends on the variety of carrot. Some are said to be better suited for containers than others. Obviously your container will need enough depth for your carrot to grow to six or seven inches with a little more space to give it "breathing" room.

Reaction score
I'm concerned about growing carrots in a container. Will I get bigger carrots from a bigger (taller) container?
Great question because I am planning on planting some, the plants from my seeds have already popped up and I'm about to start the planting. I'm still concerned about planting right now still because our temperatures are still pretty cool here recently, but I guess it'll change to more heat soon enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure I've seen a video of someone growing very long carrots for a competition and they grew them in drain pipes! Certainly worked - very long and straight carrots ;)

Probably not practical for your garden though! How big is your container?

Reaction score
I am planting them in my sq. foot, garden and there you can fit 16 carrots carrots per sq. foot!:D But I don't know if they grow bettero_O

Jed

Reaction score
Carrot length is determined by the soil being fine particle and deep and also the lack of manure.
Of course varieties come into play. Forking carrots can indicate that the soil is too rich or the soil has too many stones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Great question because I am planning on planting some, the plants from my seeds have already popped up and I'm about to start the planting. I'm still concerned about planting right now still because our temperatures are still pretty cool here recently, but I guess it'll change to more heat soon enough.

You could always put bottle cloches or cold frames over the plants once you set them out. As long as your overnight temperature doesn't get below the recommended temperature for growing carrots they should be fine. Of course, this is just my opinion...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Choose a stump rooted variety for a container rather than a long tapering one.

Reaction score
I always thought that the variety and quality of soil is what determines the size of the produce.. of course other elemental factors come into play. I do agree that too small a container may restrict the size and the growth of your plant and produce.. however, having a bigger container alone may not mean having bigger carrots.
The drain pipe idea does sound interesting though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The variety of the produce determines the size of the produce. Whether or not something grows to its expected size can depend on it's environment and how well it is nurtured, but if you have a variety of eggplant that grows round and short, no amount of miracle grow is going to elongate it. Carrots come in a wide variety - "romeo" looks like an orange beet! http://www.grow-it-organically.com/carrot-varieties.html

Reaction score
I grew carrots several years ago and they all split and grew legs. One looked like a barbie doll from the waist down. I need to locate that picture and post it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I read that could be caused by the soil being too compact or rocky, or by nematode activity. Here's an article on that subject: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/carrot/fix-deformed-carrots.htm

It seems to me that unless you are raising very large quantities on a farm, it's best to grow carrots in a large container where you can avoid a lot of the issues faced when trying to grow carrots in the ground.

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely want to use a container. I just might get some pvc tubing and grow one or two carrots just to see what happens. :)

I'll have to look into the different varieties as well. I didn't realize there were multiple varieties.

Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I plan to get some carrot seeds and have a go at it myself - hopefully next week. I have one tall flower pot I think will give me enough depth to grow a few and I was thinking of using cardboard tubes to start them in. That way I could just plant the tubes and not have to worry about separating seedlings and risking transplant shock.

Reaction score
I plan to get some carrot seeds and have a go at it myself - hopefully next week. I have one tall flower pot I think will give me enough depth to grow a few and I was thinking of using cardboard tubes to start them in. That way I could just plant the tubes and not have to worry about separating seedlings and risking transplant shock.

That's a great idea to use cardboard! Heck, you can make it yourself from boxes gathered behind shops at strip malls (i.e. Free). I guess you would have to put plastic around the cardboard tube to keep the moisture contained. Then, remove the plastic right before planting the tube.

Ask a Question