Length of growing oranges?

Reaction score
I was thinking about growing some oranges indoors. However, I've never grown oranges before, let along indoors. How long will it take from seed to finish when growing them indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was thinking about growing some oranges indoors. However, I've never grown oranges before, let along indoors. How long will it take from seed to finish when growing them indoors?
6 to 10 years depending on variety and even the dwarf varieties are fair sized plants when mature

Reaction score
6 to 10 years? That's pretty hard to believe. I don't see myself having the patience to wait that long for something to grow. What is required to grow oranges? Can they be grown in any climate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
6 to 10 years? That's pretty hard to believe. I don't see myself having the patience to wait that long for something to grow. What is required to grow oranges? Can they be grown in any climate?
The 6 - 10 years is from seed. You can buy grafted citrus that will produce a little the first year. There are many types of citrus, some of which are cold hardy down into the mid teens but most are not cold hardy. Oranges being one of the less cold hardy. Citrus likes a warm climate with long hot summer days and a short winter without extreme cold. That is why the orange growers in Florida freak out when a severe cold snap is coming. They do everything possible to keep their groves from getting too cold like trying to cover them and setting out smudge pots and torpedo heaters among other things

Last edited:

Ask a Question