Is it suitable light for my plants/seeds?

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hello there! I haven't found where to post it, so I do it here.

Get to the point.

I'm an undergraduate working on my scientific work, it requires Dionaea muscipula (aka Venus' flytrap) seed germination. The seeds is that I've got. With my research advisor we're working with data from one article (Jang GW et al., 2003). There seeds were germinated with the following conditions cool-white fluorescent light (30 μmol m−2 s−1).
The problem is this PPFD. I haven't found any states about it on common lamp's body. That's why I've bought a LED lamp with this properties:
* Cool-white (6500 K)
* 1480 Lm
* Ra > 80
* 15 W
(it's LED lamp, because there is no fluorescent lamps in wide sells)

May someone help saying whether it's OK to use for seed germination or not.
If it isn't suitable, please, say what's the properties of the lamp should be. (It's better to say it with this "common therms" like colour temperature, lumens, Watts). Or maybe you will help me calculate a PPFD with this lamp parameters by myself

Thanks for your help! ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not my subject, but the search function (Top Right) is pretty good, try 'Venus flytrap' there.

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
This might help https://www.horti-growlight.com/en-gb/par-ppf-ypf-ppfd-dli
I'm not familiar with using µmol m^-2s^-1 for light measurement: I presume the µmol is used for the number of photons produced (so c 6x10^24 x µmol photons).
Yes, it's about an amount of photons falling on the surface (for PPFD it's photosynthetic active photons)
But if you work with an artificial light you could say what power of lamp (in W) you might use

Ask a Question