Indoors tulips

Reaction score
I've tried growing tulips like the first image posted but never had much luck in keeping mildew and mold at bay no matter what I tried haha. The issue with growing tulips in that manner is the moisture retention in the container. I'll prolly fiddle around some more and find a balance since they are pretty.

Oh so sorry to hear that, but your comment made me feel really curious. What was the weather like when you tried this? Also, are the summers very hot and humid there? I'm just curious. I've yet to try this, my mother in law tried something similar and hers did well, I hope mine do too. Good luck to you too (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The weather was mild when I tried it. Not too much moisture or too dry or hot. I think it may have to do with direct sunlight. Those vases are pretty much a pipe so condensation gets trapped. I'll try again with less direct sunlight and probably on a bed of pebbles/glass marbles with some soil and see if that works better haha.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve seen this a lot in home magazines and online. However, it doesn’t look like these flowers have much room to grow. Do they survive long in vases like that? I always thought tulips need soil to grow.

Reaction score
The weather was mild when I tried it. Not too much moisture or too dry or hot. I think it may have to do with direct sunlight. Those vases are pretty much a pipe so condensation gets trapped. I'll try again with less direct sunlight and probably on a bed of pebbles/glass marbles with some soil and see if that works better haha.

Yes, please let me know if you indeed try it :) I'd love to hear your results! I'm quite sure it was the direct sunlight, as you said those vases are like pipes and they tend to get really warm as well. I just can't wait fr trying it again as well, but in the Netherlands ;)

Reaction score
I’ve seen this a lot in home magazines and online. However, it doesn’t look like these flowers have much room to grow. Do they survive long in vases like that? I always thought tulips need soil to grow.

My mother in law tried something similar but she used other kind of bulbs and her did wonderful, but she used a bigger container and a little bit of soil. If I'm not mistaken she tried it with narcissus bulbs? or some sort of lily (I can't remember right now). But I am certain it was some sort of lily, they all bloomed and made a perfect living room center ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh that’s good to know! I am definitely interested in trying it now. I think these look beautiful on a windowsill. The colorful tulips brighten up a home.

Reaction score
Oh that’s good to know! I am definitely interested in trying it now. I think these look beautiful on a windowsill. The colorful tulips brighten up a home.

If you do try it, please let me know :) I'd love to see the pictures! I will definitely share the pictures here when I try again. Last time I did it in a rush ;) So I'm not surprised things went the way they did, lol.

Ask a Question