Indoor Ficus Benjamina

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. I am new here. We just bought two weeks ago a Ficus Benjamina . About 5 feet tall. We notice everyday it drops about 3 to 5 leaves . Some are yellow , some are still green. I’ve heard they like humidity so I have a humidifier next to it. What humidity should they have ? I also noticed , I watered about six days ago , and the soil is still moist and looks like maybe mold may be forming on top the soil ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 326
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello all. I am new here. We just bought two weeks ago a Ficus Benjamina . About 5 feet tall. We notice everyday it drops about 3 to 5 leaves . Some are yellow , some are still green. I’ve heard they like humidity so I have a humidifier next to it. What humidity should they have ? I also noticed , I watered about six days ago , and the soil is still moist and looks like maybe mold may be forming on top the soil ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What color is the "mold"? What type of growing medium is the ficus in?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ficus is in its original pot from the store. And the mold looks white / grayish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The ficus is in its original pot from the store. And the mold looks white / grayish.
The whitish looking stuff is probably a beneficial fungi named Tricoderma. It eats bad fungi.
It also looks like your ficus is planted too deep. You should be able to see its root flare. Dig out 2 or 3 inches, take another picture and post it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Take 2 or 3 inches of soil off the top of the plant ?
Yes take 2 or 3 inches of soil out of the container. You will know the root flare when you see it. It is where the roots start at the bottom end of the trunk

Ask a Question