I'm confused

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Still can't find the rules if there are any.

No need to appologise Bees. On the uk forum we got a rule that links to other sites are only allowed if they're put up with the express intention of leading members away from the forums, but its usually pretty obvious if someone does that.

I thought the RHS forums had closed down? We had a load of folk join when they announced it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a pretty basic set of rules on this page (https://www.gardening-forums.com/help/terms) linked from the bottom of each page... but there's nothing in there about links to other places.

I'm happy with links being posted if they answer a members question, as long as it's not self-promotion or sending members away when they may not come back. Ideally we'll be able to answer things on here ourselves, but if that isn't the case then I'm happy for links to be provided where the answer things in a level of detail not appropriate for a post.

Of course, spam links are different and we'll squish them as soon as we see then or they're reported :D.

My only intention has been trying to be helpful to other members, and if any of my posts have broken the rules, I'd apologise and ask that they be deleted.

Don't worry, you've not broken any rules! :D I'm very glad we've got you over here :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do not like the links either and rarely ever click on them because I do not want to be led to a virus infested pit. The reason I bring up questions on this forum is because I want answers from other people who garden and are much more experienced than me. People who can give me real advice based on their own experience. If I want to read an article, I would go read an article or find a link to something myself. I want to talk with actual gardeners about gardening related topics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Were you by any chance referring to that lobotomized idiot Dugan who called Zigs a liar and photoshopper and me a small little man?
I looked up that pic, hmmm, I suppose if it showed a potato all baked and dressed ready for dinner I might have been suspicious... now maybe that one on the left had a third eye that has been airbrushed down to a wink...

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I often will submit a link about a subject or a picture only because the information provided at the link is more detail than I can go into. Often a person can be looking for something online and not find it because of the way they search, another person my find it and submit the link here. I do agree that links for self promotion should not be in the forum.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As these are exactly the type of link I was commenting on - what happens in those instances ?

If you see anything suspicious just hit the report button and let the staff have a look, we do miss stuff now and again :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a pretty basic set of rules on this page (https://www.gardening-forums.com/help/terms) linked from the bottom of each page... but there's nothing in there about links to other places.

I'm happy with links being posted if they answer a members question, as long as it's not self-promotion or sending members away when they may not come back. Ideally we'll be able to answer things on here ourselves, but if that isn't the case then I'm happy for links to be provided where the answer things in a level of detail not appropriate for a post.

Of course, spam links are different and we'll squish them as soon as we see then or they're reported :D.

Don't worry, you've not broken any rules! :D I'm very glad we've got you over here :).
:X3:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As these are exactly the type of link I was commenting on - what happens in those instances ?

If someone posts a self-promotion link, then depending on the context we either warn them and remove the link or ban them as a spammer. For example, we've had a few gardening service companies posting links to their websites in an intro post, then never coming back.

Ask a Question