If you had to choose one herb...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine would be basil as well! It adds so much flavor to so many different dishes and is very easy to grow. Even my toddler loves to pick and eat the leaves! I grow a large amount each year and cut it off and hang it to dry. Once it is dry I strip the leaves off and put dried leaves in blender and grind it up until it is powder.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you had to choose just one fresh herb to ever grow again what would you choose?

For me it would be basil. I love fresh basil. I pinch off a bit every time I walk by. There is such a clean taste to it. I use it in a lot of my morning olmlets and it pairs really well with all those tomatoes I grow all summer. Its the one fresh herb I would never want to give up.

There are many I would miss but if I had to I could survive.

It would be hard. I love Italian Parsley and Rosemary so I would have to choose between them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Basil, definitely. It's such a beautiful plant with a fragrant aroma. Not to mention that I make pasta dishes often, and basil is one herb I just can't do without! Mint would have to be a close second, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Ah, that's a hard one. I see a lot of people like basil, but I wouldn't choose it. I do love basil, especially multiple kinds of basil, but I prefer using it dried. I just munch on it while it's fresh.

If I could only have one fresh herb, I would choose Rosemary. I use a lot of herbs while cooking, but most of which I use dried and prefer it that way. I like to cook longer and slower and let the flavor of the herbs seep in. Rosemary is the only one I actually prefer having fresh. I also love walking by and ruffling it to have the smell of rosemary all through my kitchen. I don't use it a lot for cooking, but I do ruffle it daily. :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah, that's a hard one. I see a lot of people like basil, but I wouldn't choose it. I do love basil, especially multiple kinds of basil, but I prefer using it dried. I just munch on it while it's fresh.

If I could only have one fresh herb, I would choose Rosemary. I use a lot of herbs while cooking, but most of which I use dried and prefer it that way. I like to cook longer and slower and let the flavor of the herbs seep in. Rosemary is the only one I actually prefer having fresh. I also love walking by and ruffling it to have the smell of rosemary all through my kitchen. I don't use it a lot for cooking, but I do ruffle it daily. :LOL:

I've never considered munching on raw basil before, but maybe I should give it a try!

Rosemary sounds great! Could always use another fragrant herb in the house. Do you find it an easy indoor plant to work with? Admittedly, I'm not the most diligent with plant care, so a relatively low maintenance plant is ideal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I've never considered munching on raw basil before, but maybe I should give it a try!

Rosemary sounds great! Could always use another fragrant herb in the house. Do you find it an easy indoor plant to work with? Admittedly, I'm not the most diligent with plant care, so a relatively low maintenance plant is ideal.
Rosemary is beyond easy. I've never come across a plant that was so easy to take care of. Put it in a window and water it once a week or so. Heck, I put it in a basement window which apparently got less light than I thought it did, and it lived. It was pretty cold, I often forgot about it (for a few weeks), and it didn't get much light. Despite this, it's still going strong. My other plants didn't like it so much. It definitely prefers being out of the basement though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For me, it would have to be rosemary because I just love this herb. I use it in a lot of cooking and I love how the plant smells. Basil and thyme would be close seconds.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Rosemary is beyond easy. I've never come across a plant that was so easy to take care of. Put it in a window and water it once a week or so. Heck, I put it in a basement window which apparently got less light than I thought it did, and it lived. It was pretty cold, I often forgot about it (for a few weeks), and it didn't get much light. Despite this, it's still going strong. My other plants didn't like it so much. It definitely prefers being out of the basement though.

Thanks, Mika, glad to hear it! I occasionally have been known to forget to water my plants for a few days. I'll definitely have to add it to my collection!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like many people I'd have to say basil.. and I would say basil normally, but in this situation....

Mint. Definitely mint. From the way it smells and scents the air. It has many uses from tea, cooking, flavoring, and grinding. It does has so many different uses and it never dulls out no matter how much I consume. I even take pinches as i walk by and just chew on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Basil for me as well! I cook everything with dried basil crumbs, and when I have fresh ones, I garnished it on top, for everything. I love Thai basil best, and I have also tried to grow the lemon basil. Overall, I love all different types of basil.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'd choose tarragon. I simply love the scent of tarragon and it gives a unique flavor to chicken and fish. Plus, you can't really make Béarnaise sauce without tarragon. =)

A good second placer would be dill. Without dill, I really doubt if I can eat fish. Plus, dill is used in our town as "dividers" between properties, so it's that easy to grow.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My choice would be rosemary also. I like the aroma when it is cooking and the taste it gives the food.

Ask a Question