Hurray for the lawnmower starting up first try this season!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Isn't it such a grand feeling of satisfaction, when you pull that mower out for the first time and it starts right up! Oh yeah, and as a bonus, it still has some gas in it. Okay. Okay. Maybe old gas is not the best option, but it certainly made life a little easier!

So rev up those lawnmowers and keep up on you lawn care! Just kidding. Well kind of, one thing is for sure, the grass seems to grown way to fast! And from a prior thread, it seems there are mixed opinions are what comes first, the lawn or the garden! lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I never had that much luck with mine when I had them. It'd take a few tries to get them working because they've been sitting around during winter haha.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
A grand feeling of satisfaction, and also relief! We had an Ariens walk-behind for over 20 years, and I dearly loved that thing! It started easily, mowed the grass, had a bag or mulch choice, and didn't require babying. Finally the "no push" feature died and I was lugging it around the yard. We got a Honda walk-behind with the same bag/mulch feature, and I was prepared to struggle with it. That sweet baby starts on the first pull, second if it's cold out (yes, we have to mow in cold weather here in Texas--the grass is an equal opportunity grower).
If anything could make me enjoy mowing, it would be an easy start, no frills, sturdy mower, spelled Honda.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard there is this stuff you can buy to put in the tank during the winter, some kind of stabilizer. I bought some, but still forgot to put it in this past winter! lol! Honestly, I prefer electric tools.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
This year required some work, had to pull and clean the carb, the gas these days causes problems. I'm trying to get in the practice of putting stuff (sta-bil) in my gas. You can also use Sea Foam, sea foam is also a stabilizer in addition to a cleaner. I used Sea Foam in the gas to help clean the carb once I had the carb back on after having it off to get the easy stuff. Seemed to work well as an in fuel carb cleaner. After the general cleaning of the carb the engine started but ran a little rough, but after a little run time it ran nice and smooth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can also use Sea Foam, sea foam is also a stabilizer in addition to a cleaner. I used Sea Foam in the gas to help clean the carb once I had the carb back on after having it off to get the easy stuff. Seemed to work well as an in fuel carb cleaner. After the general cleaning of the carb the engine started but ran a little rough, but after a little run time it ran nice and smooth.

I swear by Sea Foam, and use it in everything that runs on gas. I put it directly into my gas cans, so I never have to worry about forgetting to put it in each machine before winter. With these crazy winters lately it's easy to forget. Last winter came on so quick I was cutting the lawn one week, and snow blowing the next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If anything could make me enjoy mowing, it would be an easy start, no frills, sturdy mower, spelled Honda.

I don't think you can beat a Honda, they are so reliable. I have a British made Hayter at the moment and it's so temperamental, it starts fine first time but if you leave it briefly to do something else it's a nightmare to get going again. Before I bought this I had a Honda for fourteen years and it didn't give me any problems at all, unfortunately age meant parts wearing out and they were no longer available for replacement so I had to part company with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Licenter, my husband puts an additive into the gas cans before getting them filled. The riding mower and two tow-behind shredders work so much better with the additive. We were told by a guy that repairs farm equipment that almost all engines nowadays need an additive to run well.
Sheal, I know what you mean about parting company with a reliable piece of equipment. I nearly cried when our Ariens went to the big lawn in the sky.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you have it available nearby, ethanol free gas is worth the premium price - I use it in all my powered gear. Stabil is the next best thing (or Seafoam) but even those have their limits, I try to only buy enough ethanol fuel to solve the immediate need.

YMMV

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I now have a push bagger Honda,wouldn't buy anything else,no choking just grab handle and pull rope once :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I swear by Sea Foam, and use it in everything that runs on gas. I put it directly into my gas cans, so I never have to worry about forgetting to put it in each machine before winter. With these crazy winters lately it's easy to forget. Last winter came on so quick I was cutting the lawn one week, and snow blowing the next.

Thanks, Greenhorn! I didn't know that I could use Seafoam as a stabilizer. I use it in my car (too keep the gunk out), so that's cool to know!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Ours started with very first pull this year ,yyeessssssssssssss :) . I had remembered last fall to run it dry after last use and that always helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hate my parents' mower. It weighs more than I do:confused: Mowing lawns with it is more exhausting than working out, lol. The grass is growing very fast this year!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
So mine is not the only one! I often have to pull several times before I can get the old mower to start.That is usually a chore noone else at my house wants to be part of so it rests squarely on me!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know the feeling @pandora that comes with cranking up the mower. It really comes with thrills. Even when the grass is itching and the clean up follows, it's just great to get the energies flowing while giving the lawn a decent manicure. The outdoors just smells earthy and you feel like your accomplishing something. My favorite part is when you stand on the porch and look over the job you did (and the birds come in to eat the exposed insects). It's just awesome if your in love with lawns, like myself.

Ask a Question