How can you keep rats and mice away from the compost heap?

Reaction score
Compost heaps attract rodents because they are warm and in most cases dry, the easiest way to stop rodents nesting in them is to keep the heap moist, by watering it well on weekly basis, this also speeds up the rotting process.

Reaction score
I got put off the open pile heap when I accidentally speared a baby mouse when forking it over :(

Wow, that would have put me off open compost heaps too. Gross. Supposedly us apartment dwellers can compost too because they make tiny compost canisters with charcoal filters to control the smell that can be stored under the kitchen sink. I haven't gotten around to buying one yet, but it's a cool idea.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to start a compost heap as it seems such a waste to throw all the greens away and then go out and buy compost. We live out in the country and I'm worried that it will attract rodents. Is there any way to keep them out?
I am too scared of rodents and do not want to have a compost heep that would attract them. can I use the container would top to do that

Ask a Question