Hanging Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
My most recent idea is to buy hanging plants and display them on both ends of the roof of our garage. I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on the types of hanging plants that I can buy. It would be really nice if they are flowering plants. Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
First we need to know where you live. Winter is coming to my neck of the woods. I wouldn't even bother with hanging plants now unless maybe they were some mums in pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hanging plants are gorgeous! My mother in law orders some from the nursery every summer and they usually last for the entire summer. She orders a big assortment of them and they all get placed into one hanging pot. She gets hers in the mesh and wire basket that hangs and I think this keeps them properly hydrated and aired out enough.

Reaction score
I have some suggestions right here:

Black Eye Susan Vine

basketCarlLewis.jpg

Lobelia

basketlcm1863.jpg

Million Bells

basketMikeAlsbury.jpg

Pelargonium

basketinaweofgodscreation.jpg

Petunia

basketPamlaEisenberg.jpg

Portulaca

basketDougBeckers.jpg

Sweet Alyssum

basketkyducks.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These are great suggestions, Trellum!:) I especially like Black Eye Susan Vine and Petunia. Both of them look really pretty.
When I was a teenager, I used to grow a miniature ivy in a hanging basket in my room. I loved that plant, it was so beautiful:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
All of the pictures are pretty makes me wish we were at the beginning of summer instead of the end. I would not think about a hanging plant in my area now because of the change of weather coming. But if I were to go for a plant it would be the Petunia.

Reaction score
My most recent idea is to buy hanging plants and display them on both ends of the roof of our garage. I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on the types of hanging plants that I can buy. It would be really nice if they are flowering plants. Thanks a lot!

Although its not altogether easy to know what to suggest as I'm not entirely sure of what type of climate you have where you are - as you can see from what others have already posted there is plenty of choice when in comes to plants that are suitable for summer hanging baskets.

However if you were looking for perennial plants that would give you pleasure all year round - there are hundreds of them too and with winter approaching - here are a few hardy perennials that are very definitely well worth considering

Trailing ivy - evergreen with plenty of variegated varieties to choose from
Any of the numerous variegated varieties of Helichrysum

Which both look really attractive when combined with winter flowering bulbs or cyclamen as in this picture

Winter Hanging Baskets - Ivy and Cyclamen.jpg

All Heuchera varieties - with hundreds and hundreds of different colors and foliage shapes to chose from - not forgetting the many Heucherella varieties too which also have just as many stunning color choices and even some trailing varieties too - such as

Copper Cascade

Winter Hanging Baskets - Heucherella_Copper_Cascade .jpg

Winter Hanging Baskets - Heucherella.jpg

and of course Violas - many of which flower prolifically throughout the winter months

Viola Wittrockiana

Winter Hanging Baskets - Viola Wittrockiana.jpg

or Viola Ochre

Winter Hanging Baskets - Violas-in-pot.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Those are really beautiful! Thank you so much for suggesting them. We only have two seasons: summer and rainy. I hope that these will survive in our climate. I especially loved the Viola Wittrockiana. I absolutely adore purple flowers!

Ask a Question