Hanging plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mother loves hanging plants. She keeps some indoors and others outside. Last spring I went to a nursery to get her a hanging plant for Mother's Day and I noticed none of them were overly beautiful. They mostly were green plants with a few flowers here and there. I was disappointed because I wanted to get her a beautiful plant with a lot of flowers but there didn't seem to be any. Does anyone know if any good hanging plants that are full of flowers (flowers that last year round)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
KimmyMarkks, I am not an expert when it comes to hanging flower plants, but I am good at figuring things out. How about a Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunburgia Alata)? It looks amazing to me in a hanging pot. The vines hang down and also crawl up the pot hangers! From what I have read, it responds well to pruning, is easy to care for, just give it some sunshine and well draining soil and you are rewarded with lush growth and profuse flowers. There are a couple different varieties. You can bring them in during the winter and hang them in front of a sunny window. Year round flowers!

These plants can easily be grown from seeds. It only takes 21 days for them to germinate and they grow quickly! How about that for a mothers day gift.

I'm actually going to order some myself because like you, my mother loves hanging plants and she will fall all over these.

Here are some pictures of this plant I found around the internet as well as the website where I get my seeds. You can get 25 seeds for $8.45 ( That is the price at check out with shipping figured in).

http://parkseed.com/black-eyed-susan-vine-seeds/p/01957-PK-P1/

02007-pk-p1.jpg

85bbf1e81e9f3b65473851348041ccba.jpg

01902-pk-p1.jpg

e62c460a9fd33eece300afa3000d8f65.jpg
042470ece6dfd481e461b1bd42c771e0.jpg
DSC05159.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Those hanging plants in pictures are nice to look at. I was actually trying to find a pot for hanging. The advice is a pot made of wire mesh so the plant can breath underneath. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find such. Maybe I will go to the Sunday market for I'm sure they sell the wire mesh pots there. But my plan is to plant mint because hanging mint is good to look at. I have some suggestions of flowers for hanging but I don't know the English names. Let me ask around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am a newbie looking forward for ideas to make my apartment more green. Hanging plants are such a great idea and these even occupy much space.
Thanks.:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
KimmyMarkks, I am not an expert when it comes to hanging flower plants, but I am good at figuring things out. How about a Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunburgia Alata)? It looks amazing to me in a hanging pot. The vines hang down and also crawl up the pot hangers! From what I have read, it responds well to pruning, is easy to care for, just give it some sunshine and well draining soil and you are rewarded with lush growth and profuse flowers. There are a couple different varieties. You can bring them in during the winter and hang them in front of a sunny window. Year round flowers!

These plants can easily be grown from seeds. It only takes 21 days for them to germinate and they grow quickly! How about that for a mothers day gift.

I'm actually going to order some myself because like you, my mother loves hanging plants and she will fall all over these.

Here are some pictures of this plant I found around the internet as well as the website where I get my seeds. You can get 25 seeds for $8.45 ( That is the price at check out with shipping figured in).

http://parkseed.com/black-eyed-susan-vine-seeds/p/01957-PK-P1/

View attachment 9917

View attachment 9918
View attachment 9919

View attachment 9920 View attachment 9921 View attachment 9922
These plants are beautiful. Just what I was looking for. Something with a lot of flowers and relatively low maintance.
I've actually never heard of these before but I am going to do more research on them. I'm excited to look for them come spring time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have saw the flowers from @Java Guy photos before in hanging baskets, plus the beautiful varieties of petunias. I know from experience, petunia is low in maintenance and looks lovely in hanging basket! I had one on my front porch in the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
These plants are beautiful. Just what I was looking for. Something with a lot of flowers and relatively low maintance.
I've actually never heard of these before but I am going to do more research on them. I'm excited to look for them come spring time.

Kimmy, must make sure you look for Black-Eyed Susan vine Thunbergia Alata and not Black-Eyes Susan plant Rudbeckia Hirta. The plants are like daisies and will not be as suitable for a hanging pot as the vines will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Besides ordering seeds for the Black-Eyed Susan vine I also ordered some Fountain Blue Lobelia seeds. Check this hanging basket out!

d2eba02bbeb55ea7cac44118f2991145.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard of black eyed susan plants. They are very pretty. I know my mom LOVES blue plants so I think I may go with this one. The basket will brighten up our back porch!

Ask a Question