Growing Vegetables Indoors

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in the city. I only have one window in my apartment that gets direct sunlight for a few hours in the morning. Is that enough sunlight daily for me to grow a small indoor vegetable garden ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where do you live...do you get a lot of sun?

I think it would be possible if you're somewhere with mostly sunny days. Where I live it would be impossible in winter. Most vegetable plants require lots of sunlight, five hours minimum. Herbs are more forgiving if that's an option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The only vegetable I know that is not delicate about the sunlight is sweet potato. However, it is a crawling vine so it is not advisable to plant it indoors. But if you want to have plants inside, maybe you can settle for herbs particularly mint which is a sturdy herb that needs only little water and little sunlight. Although mint tends to crawl, it is best to be planted in a hanging pot.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Some indoor gardeners use cool-white fluorescent tubes to provide light to their crops. You should remember that not all light ray colors support plant growth. You can also use sodium-vapor and metal halide lamps to provide light to your crops.

Reaction score
As far as I know it's completely doable :) But let's wait and see what the experts have to say about the topic ;) But I do think it's completely doable because I've heard of several folks who have done it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's definitely worth a try:) There are many vegetables and fruits that can be grown indoors. I have a lot of wild strawberry plants in my apartment:)
If it doesn't work out, try growing sprouts. It's very easy and they're really delicious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've had the most success with herbs - when I was living inner city, with just a balcony and no "real" garden to speak of, I found herbs were super easy to grow either on a windowsill or out on the balcony itself. I haven't experimented yet with veggies indoors, but I have seen posts on here before with people recommending it and saying it isn't too difficult!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it could definitely work out. The plants don't really need to be bathed in sunlight all day. They just need enough time to carry out the photosynthetic process in a quick cycle and they should be good. Once they get enough sunlight at least every two days they should grow just fine. The earlier suggestion of cool-white phosphorescent tubes is also a good idea. They won't make your apartment feel hot either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I agree with artnell about the lighting. The metal halide are pretty pricey. I have flourescent fixtures and one high pressure sodium that seem to work just fine. I don't know whaf a sodium vapour is. Will look that up as I'm always looking for ways to improve my little set up.

Ask a Question