Indoor Growing fruits & Vegetables

Reaction score
I live in Michigan where it is quickly getting cold. You can really feel Fall here now! Therefore, it's time to bring the garden indoors. What are some easy to grow indoors fruits and vegetables? I just want to be able the have something that I grew myself year round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Michigan where it is quickly getting cold. You can really feel Fall here now! Therefore, it's time to bring the garden indoors. What are some easy to grow indoors fruits and vegetables? I just want to be able the have something that I grew myself year round.
Provided you have adequate heat and sunlight just about anything. Lettuce and greens in containers along with dwarf and some indeterminate varieties of tomatoes. Mexican lime and either Myers or Ponderosa lemons. Other than heat and sunlight space would also be a major factor.

Reaction score
I too am very curious about this. I live in Illinois and it is cold one day, and then hot the night. I really want to be able to keep a little garden inside. I believe you can grow onions off of the bulb. Garlic is another one. I am not an expert but I am pretty sure those will work. I need to make a system that can grow potatoes inside because my family always eats potatoes. I will be following this thread to see the ideas. Thank you for posting this!

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't really think that was possible. Do you still have to take them out and let them bask under the sun or are window sills fine? I want to grow lettuce, but I don't think the rainy season is a good idea to plant lettuce.

Reaction score
I have a big south-facing window which allows me to grow a lot there. Dwarf greens do well. I have a fig that I bring in that does well there too. Herbs always do really well and I always have them going because there's nothing like fresh herbs in winter cooking, and if you buy them from the store they're sort of expensive. I tried growing a small tomato last winter and it grew but took a really long time to fruit. By the time it actually ripened a tomato, it was about time to start setting transplants outdoors, LOL! Which of course, was nice as I had a lot of time before I'd get to enjoy tomatoes yet from outside, but you get the idea.
iof0hf.jpg

This was the tomato plant we tried last winter. I was happy to take some cuttings and throw it out in the spring, LOL! I might try again with a different kind of tomato this winter though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a big south-facing window which allows me to grow a lot there. Dwarf greens do well. I have a fig that I bring in that does well there too. Herbs always do really well and I always have them going because there's nothing like fresh herbs in winter cooking, and if you buy them from the store they're sort of expensive. I tried growing a small tomato last winter and it grew but took a really long time to fruit. By the time it actually ripened a tomato, it was about time to start setting transplants outdoors, LOL! Which of course, was nice as I had a lot of time before I'd get to enjoy tomatoes yet from outside, but you get the idea.
iof0hf.jpg

This was the tomato plant we tried last winter. I was happy to take some cuttings and throw it out in the spring, LOL! I might try again with a different kind of tomato this winter though.
Tomatoes only set fruit reliably between 68F and 74F. That would be a great place to grow a lemon or lime

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some plants burn out after an extended season and crop rotation is important for anything not grown in a pot. Plants also need periods of dormancy. Don't forget that there is less light available from now until spring so anything grown indoors would be receiving even less light.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
9 Vegetables that you can grow indoor

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant: These effectively raised delicate yields are top choices for a sunny windowsill and can be developed from seed or little plantlets. For window boxes or hanging crate, pick pendent mixed bags, for example, Tumbler tomatoes. Train cordon assortments, for example, Sweet Million tomatoes up sticks or string in a studio, where they will create long trusses of heavenly, beautiful tomatoes for a few months.

Carrots and radishes: Most root yields need more noteworthy profundity than you can give inside, yet radishes, particularly round or globe mixed bags that don't root profoundly, become well in boxes, troughs and container. Seeds can be sown from late winter until mid-harvest time, frequently creating usable roots 21 to after 25 days. Round carrot assortments are additionally fruitful in pots and boxes.

Potatoes, Mushrooms, Beans and peas are also some of other vegetables that can be grown indoor, in pot. You can also seek helps from a gardener who can suggest better ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I wouldn't try growing tomatoes indoors unless they can receive a lot of light. Herbs can grow on a windowsill, but unless your window reaches all the way down to the floor, tomatoes plants are way too large. Look into things that grow in the shade and seek out varieties suited for containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Try to grow pepper plants and different kinds of berries. They don't need any special conditions and don't take a lot of space. Also, they're all very decorative:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is why I love the dwarf multi fruit trees. We have been meaning to get some. They grow multiple different fruits on one tree but it wont grow more then five feet in height (some are smaller). Vine type vegetable plants are good to grow in the home too. You can lace them around the house and they make a pretty display. Hanging tomato and other types of vegetables also work well. I have a friend who does different types of berries and squash in hanging pots. They look amazing in her kitchen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought about getting a garden light for my basement pantry area and grow some plants indoors that ay. Then, you don't necessarily have to worry about how much light our gloomy winters don't provide. I wilt in winters just like our gardens do, so UV lights are not a bad investment in my house. I can garden in my basement and feel happy. They are not cheap though. It might have to be a small garden in the basement.:LOL:

Ask a Question