Got the blight

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I should have known. You Brits were always more sophisticated than us hillbillys

Yep, we know the difference between a Hippopotamus and a Hog :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's five o' clock somewhere. :D
Sorry to hear that zigs, hot and rainy here too and my tomatoes and potatoes are pretty well decimated from blight (although I'm still getting a fair amount of fruit from the plants, just nowhere near normal.)
I like the white plastic sheeting idea, may give that a try next year. And I've heard of the aspirin trick, come to think of it!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...say-scientists-fight-disease-boost-yield.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to here this Zigs, just as they were coming good. :( I wonder if growing them to close together is an issue too? Any damp will be held amongst the foliage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, no! Sorry for that, @zigs! Hope the ones in the greenhouse turn out okay. I wonder if using something like peroxide in water would help with the spores outdoors. I'm going to have to keep an eye on my own tomatoes, though they are planted in large tubs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
For the blight.
Spray the foliage both sides.
Solanacaea react to aspirin like it's an attack and put up their own defences.
Best followed up next day by spraying with a-a compost tea.

I usually spray mine with aspirin as a preventative and for general health. Will have to mix up some spray when I get home to be sure I can prevent it from getting at my tomatoes. Does is work for potato crops as well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah no, sorry to hear about your tomatoes Zigs :( I'm glad the greenhouse plants are doing ok though!

Ask a Question