9a
Country
United Kingdom
Despite spraying a few times :(

DSCN1854.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you plant in the same location as last year? I planted in two separate areas . The first area although a good ten feet away got the blight just like the two previous years. The second area at lest 300 feet away is fine. I think there is something in the soil in area 1.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I did rotate, but its only a small plot. Think i'll only do the tomatoes in the greenhouse next year and just do early potatoes outside. Should be finished before the late blight season that way.

The spores do stay in the soil and become much worse if they overwinter on infected material.

Gonna burn all the plants when they've done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear about that Zigs. I had blossom rot, then blight in two plants that I got from a nursery- and just because I wanted the pots. Destroyed them, kept the pots which I scrubbed with bleach.

My other toms that I grew from seed are - so far- okay. Both in-ground and in pails. The pail ones can obviously be moved anywhere and they were started with pre-used potting soil in 5 gal pails. I poured boiling water over the soil and then covered the pail to keep the heat in for 15 minutes. Must have worked. so far...

I'll have a moment of silence for your plants.:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fungus spores are windblown, spread around by just walking on the soil and in a hundred different other ways. Alternating crops helps a little but is by no means a fix. The spores can live for years in the soil before the perfect weather allows them to become active. One major means of spreading fungi is by deep tilling. Commercial growers have found that the no till technique greatly reduces forms of fungus including blight. It doesn't stop it but it does slow it down. Using horticultural cornmeal also slows it down to a great extent. I have found that by using cornmeal tea on the foliage will work wonders on the severity of the infection if used routinely. I don't think there is a cure for the fungus but by using cornmeal and no till it will become manageable and allow time for a complete harvest. There is another great organic fungus control called Actinovate but it is a bit too costly for me although I have used it with good results. It works from the roots up unlike other products. The main thing about controlling blight and other fungi is to be pro-active. Start treating it before you see signs of it

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I did spray a few times before it appeared, but there were wet days when I couldn't.

No sign of it in the greenhouse yet, sprayed in there as well (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did spray a few times before it appeared, but there were wet days when I couldn't.

No sign of it in the greenhouse yet, sprayed in there as well (y)
There isn't too much you can do about fungus when the weather stays wet, moist or humid all the time

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
True, seem to get blight alerts on my phone when its raining :cry:

Bordeaux mix doesn't get washed off in the greenhouse :)
DSCN1856.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One thing you could try is to put white PVC sheeting down and plant through it. This is supposed to stop the spores from coming out of the soil and on to the lower leaves.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One thing you could try is to put white PVC sheeting down and plant through it. This is supposed to stop the spores from coming out of the soil and on to the lower leaves.

Good idea OB (y)

Ask a Question