Giant Hogweed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This plant has been in the local news lately, because it's becoming a very common invasive and its sap can cause severe burns and even blindness.

I'm curious how it affects the wildlife, such as deer, birds, squirrels...that may come in contact with the sap? I'm also curious how it would do in a compost bin that is in the sunlight --- would its sap damage/kill WRT micro/macro organisms?

Anyone have any experience with this plant?

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html

Excerpt:

Giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) is a Federally listed noxious weed. Its sap, in combination with moisture and sunlight, can cause severe skin and eye irritation, painful blistering, permanent scarring and blindness. Contact between the skin and the sap of this plant occurs either through brushing against the bristles on the stem or breaking the stem or leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Authorities warn against composting giant hogweed and wild parsnip, but that is mainly a question of safety when handling them and of accidentally moving an invasive plant to a new site. The two plants, in fact, break down quickly in compost and that includes the furanocoumarins that cause reactions in humans. Besides, their foliage disappears in a few weeks if just left on the ground, a sign that microbes like it.
From this site.
https://laidbackgardener.blog/tag/can-you-compost-giant-hogweed/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That article failed to mention using a detergent or kitchen sink type soap or using a washrag to clean. Both are vital. I prevent contact dermatitus from weed eating poison ivy very easily this way. The use of a wash rag is evidently a big secret.

Ask a Question