Look at our GIANT sunflower!!

Reaction score
jbejA9z.jpg

It was probably every bit of 12-15 feet at it's peak. Unfortunately a microburst a few weeks ago took it down, then squirrels had their way with the seeds, so we finally pruned the yard and found how large the head actually was. Crazy to think that it started out as just a tiny sprout in our kitchen window!

Reaction score
This is what our sunflower garden looked like. It wasn't supposed to be all sunflowers, but a majority of them were volunteers from the bird feeders and we didn't have the heart to pull them because we love sunflowers too much. This particular giant one is one we planted though, it was in the row on the right side of the picture - which served as a fence for our veggies.

awWKqzJ.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You live in a very beautiful place, Js85!:) I love it. I want a sunflower garden too:) It looks so gorgeous. I wouldn't mind sharing my seeds with squirrels. I don't like them, so I never eat them myself:p
The sunflower in the first picture really is giant!

Reaction score
Whoa, pretty impressive! We grew sunflowers in our garden this year too. They grew pretty large but nothing compared to yours. I love coming home and seeing sunflowers popping up :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Very impressive sunflower!

A few months ago I read what sunflowers can do for our soil. I love it!

"The sunflower is one of many plants that are now known to aid in “phytoremediation,” a process that employs various types of plants to remove, transfer, stabilize, and/or destroy contaminants in the our soil, water and air. Compared to other cleanup methods, such as soil excavation or pumping polluted groundwater, phytoremediation has become a clean, cost-effective and environmentally-friendly way to reclaim and reuse land that has been tainted by poisonous chemicals and heavy metals."

Read the whole thing here: http://farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2012/06/11/sunflowers-to-the-rescue/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Wow. That is one big sunflower! I wonder how big the seeds are. :eek: I don't usually see sunflowers here. One university here though plants them every summer as a sign that students will be having their graduation ceremony soon. Anyway, I really love your sunflowers!

Reaction score
I've planted giant sunflowers a couple of times but for some reason they just don't do well in my yard. There was a little bit of shade and I guess when they say FULL sun they mean it!

Reaction score
Very impressive sunflower!

A few months ago I read what sunflowers can do for our soil. I love it!

"The sunflower is one of many plants that are now known to aid in “phytoremediation,” a process that employs various types of plants to remove, transfer, stabilize, and/or destroy contaminants in the our soil, water and air. Compared to other cleanup methods, such as soil excavation or pumping polluted groundwater, phytoremediation has become a clean, cost-effective and environmentally-friendly way to reclaim and reuse land that has been tainted by poisonous chemicals and heavy metals."

Read the whole thing here: http://farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2012/06/11/sunflowers-to-the-rescue/
Oh cool! Thank you! As if I needed more reason to love sunflowers!

Reaction score
This is what our sunflower garden looked like. It wasn't supposed to be all sunflowers, but a majority of them were volunteers from the bird feeders and we didn't have the heart to pull them because we love sunflowers too much. This particular giant one is one we planted though, it was in the row on the right side of the picture - which served as a fence for our veggies.

awWKqzJ.jpg
Your house is so pretty and I love the fence of sunflowers that you have surrounding the place. They're gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your photo.

Reaction score
jbejA9z.jpg

It was probably every bit of 12-15 feet at it's peak. Unfortunately a microburst a few weeks ago took it down, then squirrels had their way with the seeds, so we finally pruned the yard and found how large the head actually was. Crazy to think that it started out as just a tiny sprout in our kitchen window!
Wow!!!! That is huge!! I am so impressed, I think that is the biggest sunflower I have ever seen. :) I adore sunflowers. They have always been my favorite flower. They are so bright and cheery!! ( I even have a sunflower tattoo on my ankle :) )

My favorite color is yellow too... a pattern going here I think ! Thank you for sharing this... would love to see more!!!

Danyel :)

Ask a Question