First veggie garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. First time posting. Wondering why my zucchini leaves are turning yellow and why my heirloom tomato looks shriveled. No fruit yet on the heirloom either. Here's pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 246
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most importantly, where in the US do you live/what is your USDA growing zone? Very hard to give advice without knowing your climate. And how is your soil, do you think? And what is your watering schedule?

The first pic, not really sure. Possibly deficient soil, possibly watering issue (most likely over- or too-frequent watering.)

Second photo of your tomatoes, I see signs of early blight. Those brown and yellow spots on the lower leaves. Extremely common (it's in my garden). Hard to eradicate but can be managed; do a search on early blight. Some types of heirloom tomatoes are particularly prone to it as I am finding out!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the info. We are in SoCal and the soil is junk but the planter is filled with veggie/garden soil from Lowes/HD. I believe we are/may be watering too much. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just for perspective, we are in near-drought conditions here in MI (not of course like SoCal drought.) And I still am watering only once every 7-10 days. It's a really really common gardening mistake, to water shallowly and frequently. That just makes for weak, shallow-rooted plants.

Heavy mulching helps greatly in conserving water. I have some bark mulch and mostly cheap straw bales, about 6" deep when broken up and spread out, at a cost of about $20. It's been well over a week since we last watered but the soil under the straw is still moist. Plus all that mulch will break down and further enrich the soil by next spring. :)

Ask a Question