My First Veggie Garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've been wanting to start a veggie garden for quite some time. My mom and little sister plan on growing potted tomatoes and peppers, but I'm wanting to do an in ground garden if possible. I'm assuming that would be better for them? And then I have more room to grow other stuff. So, tomatoes and peppers... what other veggies will be easy to grow? Cucumbers, perhaps? Anything else that's easy to grow that I could stick in the garden? How and when should I get started with this? (I live in Ohio, by the way.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion growing pumpkin is pretty easy. It was one of my first vegetables. It can grow really big though, so plant it only if you have a lot of space in your garden :)
Zucchinis aren't difficult either.

Reaction score
Beans and peas are relatively easy to grow and don't require a lot of space. If you have a large area, cucumbers are great with they do tend to spread. Zucchinis take up less space than cucumbers but will cross pollinate with similar plants so they need to be away from your cukes. Strawberries are a nice addition as they can provide an early crop of great tasting berries and if planted soon, will produce in their first season.

Reaction score
To be honest with all the different varieties of fruit and vegetables around these days - they all seem to do well whether grown in the ground or in a container - it all depends on how much space people have.
If you have a reasonable amount of space - then cucumbers, squash and zucchini are all extremely easy to grow - but if looking for something that will take up less space - you could try some of the many salad vegetables which are also easy to grow - as are peppers, eggplants and tomatoes and although tomatoes will require a little more effort than the other vegetables they are very definitely worth it :)
As we are now almost in May and you are only just beginning to get your vegetable garden going - think you would probably be best starting with young plants bought from your local store rather than trying to rear young plants from seeds.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Potatoes are good for clearing the ground, mainly due to the amount of work earthing them up as they grow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
radishes are quick and easy, herbs, tomatoes, peas and beans. The best advice.. pick a few things you really like and will eat and research how to grow them in your area. You will get the most reward out of growing things you cant wait to eat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is the size of your garden? Some plants take up quite a bit of space and just planting stuff willy nilly will not end up well if it is a small space

Reaction score
Wow, how exciting! I'm a beginner to gardening myself, so I don't have any tips to offer you. But, I wish you luck!! :) Keep us posted on how your garden grows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
It looks like you have a lot of good ideas here about plants that are easy to grow. I would also suggest that you choose veggies that you particularly enjoy, when you decide what to plant. For instance, why grow spinach or okra just because it is easy to grow, if you dpn't like the taste of it, and don't want to eat it when you have it. So, I say to choose things that it will have you excitedly waiting for the first bite, that first delicious tomato, or juicy strawberry, or popping the fresh peas out of the pod and munching them right therein the garden..... enjoyment should be a big part of gardening, in my book.

Reaction score
I am curious as to the size of your garden. I have had many different size gardens. The one I enjoyed the most was 20 ft by 50 ft. For a family of five we called it our salad and fresh veggies garden. The only thing you would put in a fresh salad that we didn't have in it was cucumbers. They take a lot of room. Those along with water melons and pumpkins were planted in my parents huge garden. I also put my potatoes in my parents garden. I grew up in a family of 7 and their garden never shrunk after us kids left.

Reaction score
I've been wanting to start a veggie garden for quite some time. My mom and little sister plan on growing potted tomatoes and peppers, but I'm wanting to do an in ground garden if possible. I'm assuming that would be better for them? And then I have more room to grow other stuff. So, tomatoes and peppers... what other veggies will be easy to grow? Cucumbers, perhaps? Anything else that's easy to grow that I could stick in the garden? How and when should I get started with this? (I live in Ohio, by the way.)

For me it was definitely cucumbers, chilies and tomatoes. Those are fairly easy to grow and anyone (or almost everyone) can get those right, even on the first try, I mean, I did and I was a teen trying it for the first time ;)

Ask a Question