Favorite mower blade balancing trick?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use this to balance mine but plastic. You don't have to be "perfectly" balanced. As long as it looks level it is good to go. I have ground them to dickens and this has worked fine.

If the blade is bent you should be able to tell by looking down the side of it. If the blade edges aren't in a straight line, it is bent. Hammer it back. Lawn mower blades are a softer metal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My lawn mower has 3 blades and when nested
together a bent blade sticks out in appearance. But I have different push mower single blades that are not as easy to see.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really must change that blade, it is going to rain someday and the grass will start to grow. I have chopped up so much in the way of hedge cuttings that it is completely blunted and would just fray the ends of the grass. I have a brand new spare one, bought it ages ago when I saw it being offered as a 'remnant' half price. That's me, cheapskate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have yet to square off the fine edge of a set that I have sharpened. I was noticing the edge of a new set I had ordered that came as hi lift slicers instead of mulchers. The leading edge is not a point or knife edge rather about a mm or 2 of vertical flat wall. I suppose this pushes the clipping since the blades work via speed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I give my mower a check-over every year, it's a Flymo. I take the blade off and put in a vice and use a file to get rid of any damage caused by hitting the odd stone, taking care to retain the same angle, then finish off with a belt sander with a fine belt.

If I centralise it in the vice I can check to see if both sides are straight. If not I wack the one that isn't with a hammer until it is.

Depends on the mower. On mine with the long bolt that secures it to the machine, there's a bit of play between it and the hole in the blade.
So I don't quite fully tighten the bolt until I've turned it on for a second and let the centrifugal force centre it. Then tighten it fully.

Works a treat.

Ask a Question