Daffodils

Reaction score
So, the town that we recently moved into is basically the daffodil town, and it has a daffodil festival each year in May.

We basically live on the main street, so we would love to show our spirit with daffodils.

Are we too late, though? I live in NC. I just found out there were supposed to be planted in November.

How would they do if I started them in the house or something? Or do you think I would be better off just buying them later on in the season?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would think it would be hard to find quality bulbs this time of year. If they aren't held in proper storage they dry out and die. If you can find bulbs plant them immediately outside. They may just be a little later blooming, but will provide years of spring flowers.

Reaction score
As I recall, daffodils need a certain number of hours to be cold before they will grow. On the GOOD side, I consider the ground to be a good place to store daffodils@

It is still January. If you order them now they either will or will not grow, depending on what your weather is like. And, it is not easy to predict the weather!

I would plant them, but then I really LIKE daffodils so I am biased in their favor!

Reaction score
You really should wait until Fall although you could buy some posts of the daffs in bloom if you want to decorated your house for the festival. Actually this you have a perfect opportunity to learn about how to grow daffodils right where you live, if they have a festival then there must be some serious and educated people who have a ton of experience on how to grow daffodils!

Reaction score
A daffodil festival sounds so beautiful! So lucky you live where you do. We never have any floral festivals where I live :(

Reaction score
Yes, daffodils are normally planted in the fall. However, it's only mid-January. You may be able to grow some if you plant bulbs immediately. Even if you can't, you can still enjoy the festival. It sounds like it will be beautiful.

Ask a Question